Menu

Old wooden swingset safe?

Guest Paintbrushesandbubblegum

Hi, I'm New so I'm not really sure if this is the place to post this.

I have a swingset in my back yard. I'm pretty sure it's cedar. Its at least 15-20 years old and it's turn gray now. It holds my weight (about 200+ lbs) but is wobbly which I'm pretty sure means it just needs New screws etc.but the wood appears to be splitting in some areas and has greenish stuff on it. I live in Texas so I'm sure the weather has something to do with it.

My question is I want to use it for my son and make a few adjustments to it. He's about 50 lbs. I'll be putting two swings on it. Maybe a slide and a rock wall were the steps were. Would it be safe for him?

Thanks.

No it is a real post. How could it be a troll post 😯? And I don't really know any except my brother (who thinks he knows everything when he breaks more than he fixes). I just really want to know if wood is still safe when it's that old?

I just really want to know if wood is still safe when it's that old?

The grey color is not a problem IME since that can/does happen to cedar just from being exposed to the elements. The cracking is worrisome. Any softness/sponginess would to me say that it is no longer safe--but you don't seem to note that.

I have had some things made of wood last that long, but other times not. We have outbuildings made of untreated wood that are far older than that. We also have what seemed to be sturdy (6x6?) cedar wood fence posts that died in just a few years.

I'd probably want someone who was knowledgable to be able to check it in person, and think it would be worth spending the money on that over adding a climbing wall (etc.) to it, without knowing if the basic condition and integrity of the wood is safe.

If you cannot do that, then I would suggest that you play it safe rather than sorry, assume it is not still safe, and do not put a child  at risk.

Thank you for the replies and advice. I think I'll just stay away from the risk factor and build one with new wood. That way I can have it how I want it.