Menu

Protocol for dropping dual enrolled class?

So I think my son overestimated his musical know how.  He is enrolled in a 4 credit Music Theory class.  He is already lost and he can't understand the teacher who has a very heavy accent.  So we decided he really should do the Basic Musicianship 101 course for 3 credits instead.  That one is a 12 week course which doesn't start until next month.  So here's the thing, should he go into class anyway tomorrow morning but tell the teacher that he is dropping the class?  My son does want to somehow be involved in music (recording and producing) and the department at the community college is small.  He might very well wind up having to take a class from this professor at some point.  So I think he should attend the class one more time and tell the teacher in person.  Is that reasonable or am I overdoing things?

He will probably need the instructor's signature on the drop slip in order to drop the course, so he needs to tell the teacher anyway.

The details depend on the college.

But as a matter of common courtesy, he should tell the instructor why he is dropping the class.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

If he is within the drop/add period, he may be able to drop the course without the instructor's signature. I think a polite email to the instructor would be sufficient and more than most students would do. No need to attend again.

Edited by Pegasus

Go to office hours if he needs a signature, or via e-mail. Right after class is often the worst time to actually talk to a professor. FWIW, as someone who has taught music theory, I would rather see kids drop the major level class and take the non-major one if they feel they're in over their head than struggle with it and fail. Music theory is like math. If you don't have the prerequisites and are struggling at the start of the sequence, it's only going to get worse. Better to go back a step and get those skills solid than barely stay afloat in Theory I, only to drown in theory II or later (I've seen kids struggle through undergrad and barely make it-and then completely crash in grad school due to lack of solid skills).

• Like 1

For dd, dropping a college was a single click on the website. I was actually horrified there wasn't even a warning message!

For ds's Uni, it took the teacher's signature, advisor's signature, and turning the form in, in person, in the registrar's office.

Obviously, it depends on the school. :)

I presume faith's son has already made a decision, but for future reference, I really don't think a personal visit is necessary unless the college requires it. A "I think I'm going to take the earlier course instead" email is nice to have and totally sufficient.

• Like 1

The class was cancelled due to snow and slick roads so we didn't go in.  I think usually you can drop on line except I think because he is dual enrolled they have you do everything through his counsellor.  But it turns out he is well within the drop period and the intro class is 12 weeks instead of 14 so he hasn't missed anything yet.  

Thanks, everybody!

• Like 1