Menu

Why am I suddenly creeped out by bugs and mice?

Suzanne in ABQ

So, lately (the last month or so), I have found that I have a much more pronounced, involuntary, instinctual, visceral reaction to "creepy" things.  I have never been afraid of spiders, or mice, or ants, or other bugs.  Yet lately, when I think of them, even as I write the words, the hair on the back of my neck rises and I get a chill down my spine.  I have never noticed this until the last month or two.  A couple hours ago, I saw a piece of cereal on the kitchen floor, and noticed it had several tiny ants attached.  I wasn't consciously afraid -- I just bent down, picked it up, and put it in the trash, but subconsciously I was totally creeped out (hair standing up, chill down spine).

One possibility: We have had a mouse problem in the house this year (first time we've had mice since we moved in 11 years ago).  I have personally disposed of a couple dozen mice in the past year (with no fear and minimal disgust), and have had no reaction.  There are no mice in the house now, yet every time I think of one, the hair stands up again on the back of my neck and behind my ears. (There it goes again!)

What would cause me to develop this strong creep-out reaction now, at age 52, when I've never had a problem before?  Have any of you experience anything like this?

Yeah, unfortunately, phobias can develop at any age.  I suspect the stress of dealing with the mice invasion may have set off this reaction.  No worries unless it starts impacting your daily life.  If you get the willies but can still do what you need to do, I wouldn't let it worry me.

The only thing that affects me this way is cockroaches.  I can still stomp on them but I have to close my eyes and grit my teeth. ha!  

• Like 1

Thanks for responding.  I'm the same way about cockroaches.  I hate, Hate, HATE them!  But even they give me more of a startle response (I scream and jump and stomp).  Yet, even as I think about them, I'm getting the hair raising response again.  Sheesh.  You're probably right about the stress of dealing with the mice.  At the time, I just deal with it (like the ants on the cereal yesterday).  I'm not really worried, just curious in mostly an academic way, why this would be happening now.  It's annoying, but not debilitating.  

Fortunately, I live in the mountains now, and there's not a single cockroach within 20 miles.

Could it have something to do with the cold weather?  It's easy not to be intimidated by mice when it's summer -- they've got lots of fun places to go and don't really care about your house.  But with the cold, they need warmth and shelter and if the house is not disinfected, mice are attracted to the smells and evidence of mice past.  If you haven't done anything different (in terms of preventative measures) since summer, I can understand if you're unconsciously feeling pressure.  You could stuff steel or copper wool into any and all gaps/holes you see around the house as a preventative measure.   Bring a flashlight and tiny mirror and really stuff it everywhere there's a gap.

Good luck!

Could it have something to do with the cold weather?  It's easy not to be intimidated by mice when it's summer -- they've got lots of fun places to go and don't really care about your house.  But with the cold, they need warmth and shelter and if the house is not disinfected, mice are attracted to the smells and evidence of mice past.  If you haven't done anything different (in terms of preventative measures) since summer, I can understand if you're unconsciously feeling pressure.  You could stuff steel or copper wool into any and all gaps/holes you see around the house as a preventative measure.   Bring a flashlight and tiny mirror and really stuff it everywhere there's a gap.

Good luck!

Interesting idea, but we actually have the opposite problem.  We have a cat who loves to go outside in the summer and catch mice.  The problem is, he likes to bring them in the house, and they're not always dead.  Once in awhile, one will get away from him.  We believe he brought in a pregnant one this fall, which led to our major infestation problem.  There is no way for them to get in by themselves (fairly new, well-sealed house), and he won't go out in cold weather, so I'm not feeling worried about them at all.  We haven't seen any sign of a mouse in months.  That's part of what confuses me.  I'm not the least bit afraid of mice, yet every time it type the word, or say it, the hair on my neck stands up.  THAT's what I'm curious about.  How come I suddenly have this subconscious visceral response, even though I have never been afraid of them?  (I think they're adorable, unless they're pooping and peeing all over my stuff)