Menu

IEW questions?

My4arrows

This year for my 1st and 3rd grader w are using Rod and Staff for Engligh (grade 3) and writs hop level C for writing. I have always been a horrible writer so I was thinking of switching to IEW to hand hold for me and help DSs especially the older who also struggles/hates writing. Should we continue with R&S along with that, use something else go a completely different direction? For IEW what should I buy, elegiacally for someone who doesn't excel in writing?

I'm so lost when it comes to writing and dread teaching it!

I really do not know much about Rod and Staff but I have used IEW.     You would normally start IEW at 3rd or 4th grade.  If you are not comfortable with writing I suggest getting the teacher's DVD package along with the student writing package.   https://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=016670&subject=English%2FWriting/7&category=Institute+for+Excellence+in+Writing+Programs+%28IEW%29/1581

The teacher's dvds teach you how to teach the writing.  If you are somewhat comfortable with writing then you can just get the student writing intensive and watch the dvds along with your child.  https://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=016667&subject=English%2FWriting/7&category=Institute+for+Excellence+in+Writing+Programs+%28IEW%29/1581

IEW is a great program that really provides a strong foundation for the kids.

For us we do Easy Grammar and then Wordly Wise 3000 to go along with our IEW.

Edited by mschickie

I've been using IEW for 2 years starting with their primary (PAL) set to teach reading and writing. It sounds like your DC would be able to use level A materials and you could teach them together. This company offers so much support...forums, podcasts, webinars. Give them a call to if you need more details. I can't say enough about them!

For 3rd they would likely recommend you start with the Student Writing intensive A for your kids and the Teaching Writing Structure and Style (TWSS) for you.  It is going to be an investment cost-wise, especially as compared to Rod and Staff.  I would recommend you buy them from IEW directly. The reason for this is that they have a 100% money back no time limit guarantee. So you can start in on it, and if you all hate it, return it (even used). You can't get that from Rainbow. 

We have used IEW from the beginning similar to Freedom (prior post).  We have used PAL, Bible Heroes (2nd grade theme based), All Things Fun and Fascinating (Level A theme based) and this year we are using SWI-A (Level A)  My kids are ironically not fans of the video component of SWI-A.  I like watching Andrew Pudewa so I was surprised. However, don't let that scare you. Most people love the videos.  

ETA: if you are thinking of doing this for next year--4th and 2nd grade, I would try SWI-A. If you are looking to switch now, and you are not off-put by Biblical content, I would go with Bible Heroes. It would be a softer introduction to the methods for your 1st grader.  You may have to do some scribing for him/her depending on the endurance for writing. It is more important at 1st grade to get the method down than for him/her to be able to endure scribing a two page paper.  

Sorry, another ETA:  IEW's writing doesn't include grammar or spelling so if you decide to do IEW keep the R&S Grammar and spelling.

Edited by cintinative

Thanks for the info!  I've already made so many changes this year that we will wait until next year to begin.  My then 2nd grader is a strong writer compared to ODS and will often write on his own fairly well.  It's ODS who has a horrible time and hates writing.  I will definitely need to look further into this and see what's going to work best.  I know I can get the teacher DVDs from our homeschool resource center and maybe I should see if they have the other materials too. I can check it out for 6 weeks so maybe I can check them out there to see if they will work for us before buying (even with the 100% money back guarantee).

• Like 1

Thoughts on getting the PAL LA for a young 5 yo? I'd be using AAR for reading instruction though.

There are 2 parts to PAL - Reading and Writing.  If you are using AAR, skip PAL Reading, but if you need a writing program, I highly recommend PAL writing (if it doesn't work, 100% money back guarantee) for your 5yo.  We had success with it.

• Like 1

There are 2 parts to PAL - Reading and Writing.  If you are using AAR, skip PAL Reading, but if you need a writing program, I highly recommend PAL writing (if it doesn't work, 100% money back guarantee) for your 5yo.  We had success with it.

Agree with this.  PAL-Writing includes AAS by the way. It starts with basic letter formation so it won't be a problem for a 5 year old. Just take it at the pace your child can handle. It took us more than a year to finish PAL-writing because Part III gets into composition (key word outlining and writing from those) and those lessons took about a week each.

• Like 2