Menu

Resources for studying prehistoric animals at Gr. 5-8 level?

strawberryjam

My son is in Grade 5 next year. Right now the plan is to use CPO Science so we might be doing the Earth & Space science in Grade 5 and CPO Life Science in Grade 6, but when I asked about what he wanted to learn in the field of biology he said he wants to do prehistoric animals. SO.... I'm thinking we'll do a mini unit on prehistoric animals this summer or at the same time as CPO Earth & Space next year.

I know DK has an excellent book about prehistoric life but that's about all I've found so far. What are your favourite resources?

I should add, his reading level is a few grade levels ahead and his scientific understanding is advanced so things that are above typical Grade 5 level are fine.

My 10 year old got the DK Prehistoric Life book for Christmas and loves it, so that is definitely a good place to start. Do you have a local-ish natural history museum? Ours has kits that can be checked out.

We don't have one nearby :( At least not that I know of. We live near Vancouver, Canada. Good idea though!

There are also a bunch of BBC nature videos about dinos and other prehistoric creatures.

Do you mean that series? Can't remember what it's called now. The latest one was a three part series about prehistoric sea creatures which was amazing. He is also interested in prehistoric mammals and other creatures, doesn't have to be just dinosaurs. I think what he's really asking for is more along the lines of evolutionary biology. He's not *that* into dinosaurs.