Menu

How to treat blisters while in the pool?

Renthead Mommy

So I've been doing water aerobics.  I had the start of blister from a pair of regular shoes (and didn't really realize it).  My water shoes made it worse.  So I put a band aid on it, but that doesn't work all that great after awhile in the pool, especially with shoes on.  And while that one is getting better, the band aid started a second one on the toe next to the first one.  

So how do you treat blisters when you are in the pool for 1-2 hours a day? 

Have you tried the special blister band-aids? They don't come off for days at a time, even through showers, so I imagine they will hold in a pool as well. They actually form a cushion around the blistered area to protect it and give it time to heal. I used them last year when we were touring around in London for a week. They are amazingly awesome! 

ETA: They have the wrap around band aids for toes and fingers, too. They work equally as well. 

Edited by TechWife

Derma glue works wonders if used in a nice blob on the rub. It adds a layer of protection and stays even when completely submerged. Fair warning, it burns like all get out at first. You might want to apply when in company that total freak out is acceptable. One of the few times my son has really heard foul language from me was during a Derma glue incident.

I may try that. I don't like giving up my work ours, but it is two hours in the pool, so pruny feet in shoes with no socks. And the fact the band aid on one toe gave me a blister on a different toe is so frustrating!

So it is either something like that or sit out till it all heals up enough, which seems to take longer with all the water than if I was only getting wet in a shower.

Guest NoWordsMouth

While your currently out of the pool treat it to the best possiblility such as alchohol and band aids will rub against it making it worse, all you can do at this time is to heal it out of water and when its time, try buying new smoother substance shoes and make sure they arnt too tight on the ankles but above them, this will reduce damage to open areas since we dont usually rub stuff against them.

Do you need shoes to do water aerobics?  I would wear the shoes in the locker room, but not during the workout itself.

Yes.  It's not deep water aerobics, so you need shoes to get traction.  Also when I'm walking/jogging.  I've forgotten them before (left out to dry and walked off.  Leaving them in the car is no fun - then they are still wet and very cold the next day! LOL) and it is much harder. 

While your currently out of the pool treat it to the best possiblility such as alchohol and band aids will rub against it making it worse, all you can do at this time is to heal it out of water and when its time, try buying new smoother substance shoes and make sure they arnt too tight on the ankles but above them, this will reduce damage to open areas since we dont usually rub stuff against them.

I hate giving up the pool time, but I'm taking a day or two off.  My pool shoes are not the problem, they are fine.  The first blister was started by regular shoes, made worse by the pool shoes.  Under normal conditions, the pool shoes are fine.  It is just frustrating. 

We use duct tape for preventing blisters when hiking or walking a lot. It works great. Not sure how it would do on an already-formed blister, though, or whether it would stay on in the water.

I have used duct tape in the past.  Mainly to hold band aids on for cuts (not blisters though).  The duct tape works pretty well in the water as long as you have your shoe on or it is wrapped all the way around the limb.  But it usually comes off as you take off the shoe.  But it does do the job to keep the band aid on.  And you want to make sure there is a band aid on first and you aren't duct taping right on the injury. 

Duct tape.  A wonderful invention!