Menu

Feminism for Future Scientists - Reading list?

So, the whole #astroSH tag (twitter and fb) has gotten me depressed. It is great that women are speaking out about this issue, it's the only way change will occur. But it is also hard for a parent with a daughter who is passionate about planetary science.

So, if forewarned is forearmed, we need to talk about this during the high school years.

If you were creating a high school level "Feminism for Future Scientists" class, what would you put on the reading list?

Were you aware of this when it happened?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/10/tim-hunt-female-scientists_n_7553992.html

Female scientists responded with this...

#distractinglysexy

I wasn't aware of the astro controversy.  Thanks for sharing.  DD is studying at this very moment for her Astronomy Science Olympiad event.  She took first in state last year! ;)

• Like 1

I'm going to say, as someone who knows a bit about this, that this is a big deal right now because there are people in the field who are ticked off by the normal channels of dealing with things so are going to the press. There are some big (white male) players who are working on changing things.

Emily

I'm going to say, as someone who knows a bit about this, that this is a big deal right now because there are people in the field who are ticked off by the normal channels of dealing with things so are going to the press. There are some big (white male) players who are working on changing things.

Emily

Interesting post about why someone would leak to the press, and why the standard confidential internal investigation system is utterly failing women.

http://www.starstryder.com/2016/01/14/abuse/

Also, while I'm glad that "big white male players" are working on it, people who have been named as abusers have also been "big white male names."

Will be interesting to watch what happens. And yes, it's very scary from a parent's point of view.