Menu

Which curriculum is easiest during a cross-country move?

EliseMcKenna

For a family about to move to a new state at the same time they are ready to begin a new school year . . . what 2nd-3rd grade resources would you recommend? In addition, one parent will be traveling, possibly significantly, during a large part of 2016. 

What would be easily accessible (not online), allow for some independent work by the student, and still be fun and engaging? 

I know someone who did Sonlight with all four of her children while they traveled for a year across the U.S. and Canada.  Just add Language and Math for each kid and voila.  I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but it would be a great time for cuddling together in a hotel room, or reading while you drive.  Now there are two caveats: you can't get carsick while reading with this method and it's not very independent, unless you have their math and language be their independent subjects.

Edited by julikins
  • Like 1

I am confused by the question. Are you taking a year to move across the country, or are you moving and you think it will take a while to set up after you move? Everyone that I have seen move (including myself) across the country could do so in about 2 weeks, maybe a week on either end for packing and unpacking. That to me is shorter then most summer breaks. Is there a way you can start a bit later? That is one of the great things about homeschooling is you don't have to be on a rigid schedule. 

Or am I missing something?

• Like 2

Great suggestions!

Sorry, 3 ladybugs -- the situation is such that my husband will be flying back and forth between the west and east coasts for most of the year. The children and I will be heading to the west coast soon, however, with my husband's travel, we are anticipating a fairly long (6 months'ish?) stay in temporary housing. I just don't know what we're going to have access to in our supplies, etc. Yet, we are due to start our new school year very soon!

we always stop schooling when we move.  Exploring the area you move to is fun and educational.  You also need time to connect with new groups and if you are at home doing a lot of school you can't get out to meet others.   And really, what they use during the year when basically a single parent depends on the ages of the kids/mom's attitude to school/how they have been schooling/etc.  The question needs more detail to really answer.  But we have cross country moved recently and we did no school during or immediately after.  We took at least 6 weeks to get settled and explore before we started up again. 

Edited by tess in the burbs
  • Like 1

Workbooks!!!!! Relying on the computer will not work while traveling and unpacking!!! Textbooks are too heavy. unschooling will make you feel nervous about not getting it all done!!! Workbooks saved us,

Just make sure you have the basics and then make time twice a week to explore the new area: visit the towns little history museums, get to know all the parks and libraries, check out all the natural inexpensive nature trails or museums, join the homeschool group, whatever interests her. We also read a lot about our new state and had tons of relatives visit and while they visited we learned a lot about our new state and all that it offers!

But for pure ease of use workbooks cannot be beat.

• Like 1

Honestly for that age I agree some workbooks would be fun and get done.  Critical thinking would have some variety, Evan Moore pockets(history/science), lots of read alouds and going to the library weekly.  Even if you just picked some topics they want to learn about and go to the library for books, read them, then do something fun like a collage or experiment, or poster about it.  But being a new place...I would invest in memberships to zoo/aquarium/local interest places.   We have moved a lot, and when we were going back through the boxes of school work....my kids don't remember doing any of it.  I was shocked how much of 5th grade and younger is wiped from their memories.  I would keep it simple since you don't have the second parent around much and will be in temporary housing.  I would focus on having fun together, adding in lots of reading, nature walks, and art/music fun stuff.  Maybe more classes or sports.  Find a park group.  Make it a fun unschooling kind of year.  If you need the structure to keep sane, I would still make it more fun structure....art daily at 10am, reading after lunch, etc. 

• Like 1

Honestly for that age I agree some workbooks would be fun and get done.  Critical thinking would have some variety, Evan Moore pockets(history/science), lots of read alouds and going to the library weekly.  Even if you just picked some topics they want to learn about and go to the library for books, read them, then do something fun like a collage or experiment, or poster about it.  But being a new place...I would invest in memberships to zoo/aquarium/local interest places.   We have moved a lot, and when we were going back through the boxes of school work....my kids don't remember doing any of it.  I was shocked how much of 5th grade and younger is wiped from their memories.  I would keep it simple since you don't have the second parent around much and will be in temporary housing.  I would focus on having fun together, adding in lots of reading, nature walks, and art/music fun stuff.  Maybe more classes or sports.  Find a park group.  Make it a fun unschooling kind of year.  If you need the structure to keep sane, I would still make it more fun structure....art daily at 10am, reading after lunch, etc. 

This is lovely, thank you. I really like the way you described everything because I have been feeling overwhelmed!

My father has went to China 3 times, twice to get my 2 sisters and once with one of those sisters in tow (she was about 6 at the time). They always go over with "carry on only". Overwhelmed with the thought I asked my step mother about it once. She said "We are only going to China! Not the moon!" That has stuck with me and I think is applicable in your situation. 

You are only going to the west coast (I think that is right, right?). They have libraries, stationary stores, Amazon, Rainbow Resource, and all the rest, I know, I am a west coast transplant ;) . You are not going to the moon. When I met my husband he was living in temporary housing (his temporary was almost 1 year  :glare: ) and he was able to pack his car with everything he didn't want in storage till he moved on to his finally destination. When I met him, he had this all piled in his living room. Would have driven me nuts had we been married. However in the few weeks we had in that apartment before he moved up north, I found all sorts of closets he didn't know he had (hello cleaning equipment!... yet I still married him, go figure!). 

I know all of the schoolwork I have for my son could fit into a small box. That is right now, without me even trying to condense it. Workboxes wouldn't fit into that box, but aside from that, everything else would. Temporary housing will have closets and if not, under bed room. If you don't have room in your vehicle, think about shipping it media mail. Very reasonably priced and much cheeper then sending other things that are not media (like toys). 

We did a move with a temporary part which we didn't know how temporary it would be. Ds, who was in second grade, had a math and handwriting workbook. We did a Sonlight core for history/readers/read alouds. We just read books for science and watched science videos. We joined the library right away and they had unit kits we could take out and,of course, lots of books. We explored the area, joined a couple of homeschool groups (even though we weren't planning on staying long), found a great arts program, went to library programs. It was actually a great year. He didn't, however, remember much of the history when we cycled back so I can say that if you want to skip history until you are settled go ahead. Instead learn about your new community or do a map workbook. Ds is getting As in his high school science despite the lack of second grade science. LOL

My pre-schooler did the Rod and Staff pre-school books and lots of read alouds.

My children were younger when we moved from RI to upstate NY, but our move took 8 months.  EIGHT MONTHS!  We first moved to a temporary rental (in the dead of winter...ask me how fun that was....it wasn't).  Then we looked for a home, put an offer down and proceeded to wait 6 months for the closing (because USDA Rural Development).  A month before the closing, the seller of the house offered to move out so we could move in, so we headed BACK to RI, packed our remaining belongings and brought them to NY to the new house.  (This leg of the move occurred during a heat wave where temps hit 100 all three days we were moving...ask me how fun that was....it wasn't).  

So for the better part of the year, we had our belongings spread between 2-3 houses.  The stuff we had with us was mostly in boxes and bins.  We really only unpacked the essentials at the rental.  

I made sure I had all of our schooling materials handy.  I initially planned on three weeks to move and settle in to the rental.  We did attempt to pick back up again!  I tried...I really did...but in the end, there was just too much going on, too much upheaval.  The kids were in upheaval, we were house-hunting, dealing with the nefarious process that is USDA, etc. Then we finally did close and completed our move, but that meant upheaval for the kids again.  Exploring ANOTHER new community, finding new doctors AGAIN, etc.    

My oldest two were 4 and 5 and had been working at a mid-Kindergarten level when we moved.  They were 5 and 6 when we picked back up nearly a full year after the initial move.  

Honestly?  If you anticipate there will be a lot of upheaval, just put school aside for awhile.  Don't add stress to an already stressful situation.  You can catch up by schooling year round if you have to (which we do anyways).  Perhaps choose certain things that you want to review so your kiddos don't forget important concepts.

Prodigy Math would be great for reviewing math concepts during your move (and it's free, you'll just need to make sure you have internet access).  My kids play it on their Galaxy tablets, so if you have a tablet, or can get one...better than having to dig out a computer and set it up.  

Find your new library and choose a science topic to read about.  Same for history. Keep it laid back and informal.  Follow rabbit trails.  

If you really feel like you want something to show for it, some workbooks would be fine for awhile.  Spectrum has some good ones, Evan Moore, etc.  Consider it review before starting in with new stuff!  

• Like 1