Menu

What is your favorite read-aloud for Rome, 1st and 3rd graders

amyinva

She's the one that wrote the Indian in the Cupboard series (another one of our favorites, but not on the Rome theme....). Here's an Amazon reference, but we ordered the book on tape from our library:

http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Lynne-Reid-Banks/dp/044042044X/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222085024&sr=8-2

It says it is recommended for Grades 5-7, but we all listened to it in the car (DD4, DD6 and DS9). My oldest 2 enjoyed it a lot.

It is set in ancient Rome, and is a story about a girl who gets the gift of a tiger from her father. There are some references to the gladiator arenas, and if I recall, some scenes there may be slightly graphic. If it was, it didn't bother me or my kids.

HTH and GL! - Stacey in MA

My kids of all ages have loved this set of books. We have read them through twice now, and they were a huge hit both times with girls and boys ages 6 through 13. The sequel is called "The Mystery of the Roman Ransom". They are fun historical books.
We read both these. I also recommend them.

I want something fun to read at bedtime that they will really enjoy, that relates to what we are studying in History.

Thank you! Amy

I have a great one!! It is called Miranda...by Eleanor Estes (The Hundred Dresses, Ginger Pye etc.) It is a book about a Momma cat who saves her kittens from the burning of Rome. Lots of historical backround with a story kids (and their Moms) will love. I promise!

~~Faithe