Menu

Provider Question

What professional sits down and works through EF strategies with teenagers and young adults?  I spoke with the child psych yesterday and she was clueless.  I need a direction to look or keyword.  I need someone that works with people using materials like the products sold at Linquisystems.

Thank-you, 

~h

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

What professional sits down and works through EF strategies with teenagers and young adults?  I spoke with the child psych yesterday and she was clueless.  I need a direction to look or keyword.  I need someone that works with people using materials like the products sold at Linquisystems.

Thank-you, 

~h

Our behaviorist is doing some EF stuff with my ASD kiddo.

A life coach might work.

Truthfully, I am not sure--it seems like a niche thing. I would like to know though--we need this big-time in our household.

Have you used Linguisystems or just looked at it? Do you own it, or have you looked at stuff online? (Just curious, not putting you on the spot.)

• Like 2

You might need to pair things.  EF typically gets dumped on the SLP in the ps.  The person you're thinking of is an educational therapist.  I'm not suer if they actually do therapy, but they definitely do that sort of coaching, coordinating, problem solving.  I'm sure it varies with the ed therapist too, and when you find one they could refer you to someone for actual therapy.  There's a certifying org for ed therapists if you google.

• Like 2

You might need to pair things.  EF typically gets dumped on the SLP in the ps.  The person you're thinking of is an educational therapist.  I'm not suer if they actually do therapy, but they definitely do that sort of coaching, coordinating, problem solving.  I'm sure it varies with the ed therapist too, and when you find one they could refer you to someone for actual therapy.  There's a certifying org for ed therapists if you google.

So, is the ed therapist there more for the parent than the child? The parent goes, and then the ed therapist supports the parent in finding and implementing solutions? 

EF is not only on a speech therapist.  It can also be with the school counselor and with a resource teacher.

A student who is not otherwise qualifying for speech therapy, is not going to see a speech therapist for EF here. 

I think they would see the school counselor or the resource teacher. 

I think if you have not tried obvious things like searching and adding "ADHD" or "executive functioning" to find people who might mention that in their blurbs.... I would call the kinds of places that refer people out, and ask if they have any names for people who do executive functioning. 

I think it looks like you may be asking around and/or calling and asking. 

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=General%20Terms&utm_term=psychology%20today%20find%20a%20therapist&utm_content=Therapist%20General%20Terms   I don't know if this is any good in particular, but it lets you narrow down your search, and you can search by ADHD.  But it looks like people are just putting down that they also work with ADHD.

I would really consider asking your pediatrician, too, if they have any names, or if they have a provider list that is narrowed down to be focusing on ADHD. Or, do they refer somewhere, that might in turn have a list of names. 

I wonder if there are any ADHD organizations that maintain provider lists ---- that might be something to look at, too. 

http://directory.additudemag.com/   This is a directory from additudemag.com

My concern though ------ is that some of the better people, who are established, and always have a waiting list....... they are possibly going to not be getting in these lists, b/c they are getting all their business through word-of-mouth and referrals. 

I think sometimes the people who are not filling up their schedule through word-of-mouth and referrals, are the ones who are doing more to market themselves.  It is something I worry a little about, anyway.  But sometimes, if older people are full, you are going to be starting with a newer person anyway -- and that can be good, too. 

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 3

Our behaviorist is doing some EF stuff with my ASD kiddo.

A life coach might work.

Truthfully, I am not sure--it seems like a niche thing. I would like to know though--we need this big-time in our household.

Have you used Linguisystems or just looked at it? Do you own it, or have you looked at stuff online? (Just curious, not putting you on the spot.)

Yes, I do have one of the Linquisystems books.  DS and I sat down together and performed a self talk exercise together.  DS needs someone outside of me to review this info.  We work together a lot and the stinker was too busy being amusing to take me seriously.

Thank-you Ladies!!!

I'll look for an ed therapist and life coach.  Son's child psych was useless.  Apparently she specializes in meds and nothing else.  She seemed surprised when I suggested that DS needed to develop more EF supports to direct his new found attention. :closedeyes:  

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

Yes, I do have one of the Linquisystems books.  DS and I sat down together and performed a self talk exercise together.  DS needs someone outside of me to review this info.  We work together a lot and the stinker was too busy being amusing to take me seriously.

Ha! My younger one is always amusing...or so he thinks. It's beyond annoying. 

Do you like the book? Do you think it would work with a middle schooler who is very motivated and strong on some self-awareness traits (social not so much, but his own habits, yes)? My 11 y.o. likes to improve things and is driven to be more organized so that he has free time and because he loves developing new skills and competence in many areas. That takes time, and having more time means being more organized. He also likes the sense of control he gains from being more intentional. So, he will often fall short of what his goals are, but he's got great goals, great drive, and a reason to channel it all. 

(And if your answer is yes, what book do you have?)

Do you like the book? Do you think it would work with a middle schooler who is very motivated and strong on some self-awareness traits (social not so much, but his own habits, yes)? My 11 y.o. likes to improve things and is driven to be more organized so that he has free time and because he loves developing new skills and competence in many areas. That takes time, and having more time means being more organized. He also likes the sense of control he gains from being more intentional. So, he will often fall short of what his goals are, but he's got great goals, great drive, and a reason to channel it all. 

I am not the OP, but I am using the Linguisystems Executive Functions Training Elementary book with my 8 y/o and it is very helpful. We are only on the first section, working memory, but his ability to hold information in his mind is much improved. There are five units: working memory, time management, planning and organization, flexible thinking, and self-monitoring. The strategies are very concrete and practical. I might need to implement some of them for myself. :)

The elementary book is indicated for ages 6-11, or grades 1-6. There is also a secondary book--there are sample pages available at the Linguisystems website, so you could compare the two and decide which would be more appropriate for your son. 

• Like 2

Kbutton, EF for ASD is a lot more complicated than EF for ADHD.  The linguisystems EF workbooks are good, but they just basically hit a bunch of topics, with a few pages for each.  For an ADHD dc, that might be just enough, done.  For an ASD dc, any of those areas could turn out to need a lot more work.  I'd suggest you just go with whatever your provider has.  You can also see the complete table of contents and topics for both books on the linguisystems website.  I have both books and used them some with dd.  They made a lot of things come together in my mind.  They come with worksheets and exercises, but for me it was more the OH THAT'S WHY...

Kbutton, EF for ASD is a lot more complicated than EF for ADHD.  The linguisystems EF workbooks are good, but they just basically hit a bunch of topics, with a few pages for each.  For an ADHD dc, that might be just enough, done.  For an ASD dc, any of those areas could turn out to need a lot more work.  I'd suggest you just go with whatever your provider has.  You can also see the complete table of contents and topics for both books on the linguisystems website.  I have both books and used them some with dd.  They made a lot of things come together in my mind.  They come with worksheets and exercises, but for me it was more the OH THAT'S WHY...

We work with the provider to come up with resources. There aren't a lot of things that work out of the box for my son--they take bits and pieces from the most complete sources they can find and tailor it. I can have her look at the samples.

• Like 1

The most interesting thing I've read on EF was the EF Sourcebook.  It's wicked expensive and aimed at SLPs.  

This is the one I spent a couple hours reading:

The Source® for Development of Executive Functions By ...

Also look at:

The Source® for Executive Function Disorders By Susanne ...

But I go back to my point that EF at that level, when SLPs are spending $50 a book, is complicated, affecting lots of areas of self-regulation, etc.  Read the toc and see if you need what the book covers before you buy.  If another book is adequate, don't buy more than what you need, kwim?  

And then see if this is a list of all the EF materials at Linguisystems.  Turns out that Source book came from Linguisystems, which is the same place with the workbooks.  

Executive Function Materials - LinguiSystems

You know what else?  You can laugh, but after way too long with this book sitting in my library reading basket, I'm FINALLY getting around to reading 

Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents)

Yes, I know the title is weird, but this is methodology with biological basis.  Turns out they're using mindfulness in many clinical settings with good results.  Mindfulness for ADHD can get a *30% boost* in EF with just 10-15 minutes in the morning!  Even if the dc were just to read a chapter each week (30 min max, because this is a teeny tiny book with small pages and large-ish print) and then spend 10 minutes a day practicing it, I think you could get breakthroughs.  I think you'd actually get more breakthroughs *if you can win on mindfulness* than you would get with just a workbook.  I think it would *enhance* your use of the workbook and their *ability* to self-monitor and apply the notebook.  In other words, I'm pretty sure I need this book and need to get my butt applying it with ds, now that I'm returning it to the library.   :lol:

I like what I'm seeing in Frog better than Mind-Up, fwiw.  I've got Mind-Up, and I know it has all these virtuous educational features like analyzing brain function and doing worksheets.  I'm just saying Frog to me is so practical, so applicable to where our kids are really at.  I feel very peaceful reading it.  And for $10, you wouldn't feel jipped if you only implemented one thing a month, kwim?  It's that easy to just pick up and USE, no strings attached.  And it really is a 30% bump for that 10 minutes of effort.  $10, 10 minutes, 30% EF bump.  Somebody oughtta bottle that.   :D

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

We work with the provider to come up with resources. There aren't a lot of things that work out of the box for my son--they take bits and pieces from the most complete sources they can find and tailor it. I can have her look at the samples.

For me, that first Source book listing was the one where it was like HOW DID YOU KNOW MY CHILD...

• Like 1

I have the Adolescent book, and it feels too early to say whether I like the book or not. We have done self-talk exercises. I have tried to apply the concept with his daily work.  I feel like I need to purchase or make posters to hang about the house so that DS and I can be readily reminded of specific self-talk strategies and be consistent. I am a problem solver and would argue that problem solving is my gift. Breaking down a process that comes naturally to me is hard.  It is hard to explain. 

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

I have the Adolescent book, and it feels too early to say whether I like the book or not. We have done self-talk exercises. I have tried to apply the concept with his daily work.  I feel like I need to purchase or make posters to hang about the house so that DS and I can be readily reminded of specific self-talk strategies and be consistent. I am a problem solver and would argue that problem solving is my gift. Breaking down a process that comes naturally to me is hard.  It is hard to explain. 

It may be hard to explain, but I totally get it. It's hard for me too. My biggest problem with nearly every EF book is either being over-burdened with record keeping/knowing which fire to put out first or finding things (making charts) to support things that are just innate for me. I am a visual person, so out of sight, out of mind makes sense to me, but I can't fathom sometimes how it's so terribly hard to automate processes. I have one kid with EF challenges that can automate, but needs help. The other two people in the house can find 101 different ways to do the same task, and none of them will be as easy, simple, or straightforward as what I think of first (and then I can improve on my initial idea too). It's maddening. I have watched these people folds stacks of towels, and they will actually fold the same kind of towel numerous ways in one folding session! Gah!

If you find a source for posters and things, I am all ears. Self-talk would be fabulous. On the rare occasion that someone in my family uses it, they do it out loud, and it's not really talking through something--it's reciting random bits they are trying not to forget. They can't take in input in the middle of any task (even if you are watching them do it terribly wrong, you can't talk in the middle). It's just awful. It's like watching simultaneous train wrecks all day. 

• Like 1

It may be hard to explain, but I totally get it. It's hard for me too. My biggest problem with nearly every EF book is either being over-burdened with record keeping/knowing which fire to put out first or finding things (making charts) to support things that are just innate for me. I am a visual person, so out of sight, out of mind makes sense to me, but I can't fathom sometimes how it's so terribly hard to automate processes. I have one kid with EF challenges that can automate, but needs help. The other two people in the house can find 101 different ways to do the same task, and none of them will be as easy, simple, or straightforward as what I think of first (and then I can improve on my initial idea too). It's maddening. I have watched these people folds stacks of towels, and they will actually fold the same kind of towel numerous ways in one folding session! Gah!

If you find a source for posters and things, I am all ears. Self-talk would be fabulous. On the rare occasion that someone in my family uses it, they do it out loud, and it's not really talking through something--it's reciting random bits they are trying not to forget. They can't take in input in the middle of any task (even if you are watching them do it terribly wrong, you can't talk in the middle). It's just awful. It's like watching simultaneous train wrecks all day. 

I have been secretly hoping that OhE will find the posters for us.  If I find any, I will share them...and she walks away maniacally laughing to teach her children.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

We don't need posters.  Just move into assisted living.  Doing for yourself is way overrated.

There's a reason spectrum kids blend in best in college environments.  Think about it.  Food comes on conveyor belts, people don't care about how messy your room is, and once a year everything gets cleaned out by your mom.

• Like 2

We don't need posters.  Just move into assisted living.  Doing for yourself is way overrated.

There's a reason spectrum kids blend in best in college environments.  Think about it.  Food comes on conveyor belts, people don't care about how messy your room is, and once a year everything gets cleaned out by your mom.

The EF stuff is much bigger issue with my non-ASD kiddo, unfortunately. My ASD kid is undermined by how EF is tied to social skills and things, but he "gets" the concept of EF and why he wants it. He even "got it" when he was quite little. Total disconnect with the little one.

But yes, there are some great things about institutions and EF! I even liked some of them myself. If I could stand the tedium of sameness, I would automate everything for simplicity's sake. I worked with a woman who automated her wardrobe (by pattern). She automated a lot of every day stuff that wasn't important to her. She had a lot of free working memory! Gobs of it. I don't think she had EF or OCD issues either, which is the most remarkable part. it seemed to be totally a choice of "I am going to pick clothes that I like that fit this pattern and assign them a workflow," and the she did. Times most of her life. She was not boring, stilted, etc., and she didn't at all come across as anxious or tied to the routine in an emotional way. It just made life smoother to make fewer decisions. I can automate the way that I do certain things, but not the when or the what (at least not for long). That kind of drives me nuts.

• Like 1

The EF stuff is much bigger issue with my non-ASD kiddo, unfortunately. My ASD kid is undermined by how EF is tied to social skills and things, but he "gets" the concept of EF and why he wants it. He even "got it" when he was quite little. Total disconnect with the little one.

But yes, there are some great things about institutions and EF! I even liked some of them myself. If I could stand the tedium of sameness, I would automate everything for simplicity's sake. I worked with a woman who automated her wardrobe (by pattern). She automated a lot of every day stuff that wasn't important to her. She had a lot of free working memory! Gobs of it. I don't think she had EF or OCD issues either, which is the most remarkable part. it seemed to be totally a choice of "I am going to pick clothes that I like that fit this pattern and assign them a workflow," and the she did. Times most of her life. She was not boring, stilted, etc., and she didn't at all come across as anxious or tied to the routine in an emotional way. It just made life smoother to make fewer decisions. I can automate the way that I do certain things, but not the when or the what (at least not for long). That kind of drives me nuts.

Oh, I can so relate to that woman. I am most comfortable in my uniform: Jeans, cardigan with long-sleeved T underneath, black boc shoes. For church, skirt and sweater. I also tend to find a pair of earrings I like and wear them all the time until one goes down the sink, or gets lost. I have the same breakfast everyday. For the last two weeks, I caught myself having the same lunch everyday, too, since I found something I especially enjoy. I don't tie this to OCD at all. It's comfort and enjoyment. It may free up my mind to think about other stuff. I don't really like to have to make decisions on things that aren't important to me, like food and clothes.

• Like 1