Menu

Help me choose a Latin program

Looking for some guidance on choosing a Latin curriculum for my 9th grader.

Some considerations:

1. I have very little Latin experience (just learning along in GSWL). I will need teacher support.

2. He has completed GSWL.

3. Our local high school uses Cambridge Latin. He is involved with the Latin Club there, which has made me consider Cambridge. It is not required though as the Latin Club is state wide and other schools use different programs as well.

4. Budget is a huge issue. I need to be as frugal as possible.

5. He is a serious athlete, so I need to consider NCAA eligibility.

6. Ideally, it would be something that could be used with a younger sibling who has also completed GSWL, although I am fine with pacing them differently. This is primarily a budget consideration.

I would appreciate your thoughts and insights. My head is spinning from all of the options. Thank you.

My impression, which may or may not be correct, is that Cambridge may not be the best choice for an inexperienced Latin teacher.  My dd's school uses Cambridge but the teacher supplements a good deal (not sure with what).

Unless you have a lot of extra time to learn it yourself, I'd look into outsourcing via online or live classes.

• Like 1

We use Latin Book 1 and Latin Book 2 by Scott and Horn, which are free (with answers) on their respective Yahoo groups and inexpensive to purchase as hardback texts on Amazon. They are excellent books, but they are from the 1930's/40's, so I don't know what the NCAA would say about them.

I am learning Latin along with my daughter, and I have had no trouble with LB1 and LB2.

• Like 2

You should also look at Latin Alive from CAP. It's going to have more teacher support for someone not well versed in Latin. There are teaching DVDs, which I thought were excellent, a teacher's edition which has a full copy of the student text with answers. You can also buy test packs from CAP. There are three levels, enough to get you through high school. 

Wheelocks also has a lot of support and there are some teaching videos on youtube, but I felt the teaching on the Latin Alive DVDs was more thorough for the beginning level. 

• Like 1

You should also look at Latin Alive from CAP. It's going to have more teacher support for someone not well versed in Latin. There are teaching DVDs, which I thought were excellent, a teacher's edition which has a full copy of the student text with answers. You can also buy test packs from CAP. There are three levels, enough to get you through high school. 

Wheelocks also has a lot of support and there are some teaching videos on youtube, but I felt the teaching on the Latin Alive DVDs was more thorough for the beginning level. 

Thank you for this suggestion as well. This looks like I could use it for both my high school and middle school student. There are options to buy it used for not too much money. The DVDs would be a great help and support for me as the teacher. It seems comparable to Wheelock's in method and scope, but more accessible for beginners and younger students. 

Do you feel it was rigorous enough for a high school level course? I would like something challenging, but accessible. Also, something that doesn't seem too "young" for my high school student. 

Edited by mom2myboys

Thank you for this suggestion as well. This looks like I could use it for both my high school and middle school student. There are options to buy it used for not too much money. The DVDs would be a great help and support for me as the teacher. It seems comparable to Wheelock's in method and scope, but more accessible for beginners and younger students. 

Do you feel it was rigorous enough for a high school level course? I would like something challenging, but accessible. Also, something that doesn't seem too "young" for my high school student. 

It was originally designed for middle school for those continuing from CAP's Latin for Children program, so younger kids can use it. However, I think it is easily worthy of high school level. 

• Like 1