Menu

Star Wars novels appropriate for upper elementary/middle school readers?

kristi26

I've just been reading a bunch of the Star Wars Legends series (ebooks from our library). They are all quite appropriate for any age. There was a bit of kissing in one, but nothing serious.

I started with the Darth Palegious (sorry can't spell that!) but I think you could start with any of the legends ones and be fine. I'm going to go thru some of the older Old Republic ones next.

• Like 1

The Before the Force Awakens (prequel to #7) is written for middle elementary school level...I haven't read it but heard an interview with the author who states it is appropriate for all levels middle elementary up.  The Force Awakens book basically is a retelling of the movie with a little more details...it would be appropriate for middle school age children.

• Like 1

I let my ds (currently in middle school, and not sure when he first started SW but maybe 10 or 11) explore the Star Wars section of the library and choose what he wanted. He also got some as gifts or otherwise. Some have more violence and maybe more sex than perhaps ideal, but none seemed to be totally egregious at least of the ones I saw. Sorry that I cannot suggest exact titles. Most that he read fit fine with the first 6 movies, but not with the 7th since Ben is Luke's son, while Han and Leia have 3 kids with other names including Jacen who is the one who becomes a Sith...so far as I know, not being an "expert" in this like my ds.

• Like 1

Have you looked at the new versions written for middle grades? The first one is called The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy. It is the same basic story add the movie, by a new author, and with some changes in perspective.

I haven't heard of this! Off to look into it! Thanks!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My ds13 is really into the Thrawn trilogy. He has convinced me that it has challenging words and isn't just written at a 3rd grade level. The books are in the young adult section of the library. He's in book 2 and hasn't found anything inappropriate.

I'm looking at these too! Thanks!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk