Menu

Beautifully illustrated early readers?

I think all of Arnold Lobel's books are beautifully illustrated.  They are not readers like McGuffey's, per se, but they are graded at 1-2nd grade level and are the perfect first "real" books.  Frog and Toad (several titles), Owl at Home, Mouse Tales, Mouse Soup, Grasshopper on the Road, Uncle Elephant..  Great books, beautiful illustrations.  

After reading this thread and looking up various early readers I ended up purchasing the Usborne very first readers set (http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-First-Reading-Books-Collection/dp/B00593XQ9U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452994653&sr=8-2&keywords=usborne+very+first+reading+set). It wasn't mentioned in the thread, but it may be of interest to others who check out this topic. I like that there is parent text and child text, with the amount of parent text diminishing with each book. By doing that they are able to make more of a story to follow while still keeping the child's words at the appropriate level of difficulty.

After reading this thread and looking up various early readers I ended up purchasing the Usborne very first readers set (http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-First-Reading-Books-Collection/dp/B00593XQ9U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452994653&sr=8-2&keywords=usborne+very+first+reading+set). It wasn't mentioned in the thread, but it may be of interest to others who check out this topic. I like that there is parent text and child text, with the amount of parent text diminishing with each book. By doing that they are able to make more of a story to follow while still keeping the child's words at the appropriate level of difficulty.

I like these as well and the library has them here which is great.