Menu

dysgraphia and high school math

I need some ideas.

My ds is doing Algebra I (Dolciani, if it matters). He's doing well with it but I'm very fearful that he won't be able to continue to due to handwriting issues. He just cannot form numbers well, many signs and such look similar to others. I'm just concerned he's going to hit a roadblock because of this.

Is there something we can use to help him continue conceptually? I can barely grade his work it's so bad. He tries to write neatly, but there is only so much that can be done at this point, I guess. I just don't want it to hold him back.

Any ideas welcome.

I once had a tutoring student with SEVERE dysgraphia. (I have 'moderate' dysgraphia). We used trial and error but found a combination of colored paper and colored pencil that allowed him to write/work out the problems so they were legible. His mother then copied the problems onto notebook paper.

Colored paper--especially 'junk mail' that has writing on one side that slightly shows through--helps the right (creative) side of the brain kick in. The contrast with a colored pencil helps too. Sometimes writing on a vertical white board helps with the fine motor skills...

Besides these strategies there are some math-font programs that teachers use to create upper math work sheets. There is a learning curve--but once you get the hang of it it is not that difficult. If you have ever used ALEKS these programs are similar in input.

I did a quick search and found this one it is $20 and has a 60 day free trial. It is an 'add on' to programs like MS Word.

Update I downloaded the Rapid-pi trial. I am VERY impressed. It was EASY to input the problems. Your son could use this to show his Algebra work. I'd still have him try to experiment with a method/tools for working it out on paper (like for SAT tests)--but this might help with regular classwork.

there's a program called mathtype. I think the website is www.dessci.com

there's a 30 day free trial. ds tried it a few years ago. We didn't buy it because the ds teacher at the time didn't want him to use it. Just keeping up in the particular class didn't allow time to get a good feel of mathtype. There was a lot of other factors interfering with our use at the time, but it did look like it could be a good program. If you are on a flexible schedule, perhaps your ds can try it out and see if that will help both of you with his math work.