Menu

Phonics/learning to read for a 7 yo boy who just isn't interested

Shellydon

I've been doing a combo of explode the code, bob books and OPGTTR.  This is my 4th and least interested learning.  We are half way through 1st grade and still on hat, cat, sat, bug, jug type words.  He is a math whiz and has completed 1st grade math and is moving onto second.  Is there a program that would catch and hold his interest better?

I've been doing a combo of explode the code, bob books and OPGTTR.  This is my 4th and least interested learning.  We are half way through 1st grade and still on hat, cat, sat, bug, jug type words.  He is a math whiz and has completed 1st grade math and is moving onto second.  Is there a program that would catch and hold his interest better?

I'd probably drop OPGTTR and Bob books and stick with ETC. If you do the library, let him choose books on his own to read...or no books at all. Read aloud to him from good books just because.

When he's 9ish, I'd do Spalding, which would be everything literacy-related: reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing [says the Spalding geek].

• Like 1

After reading about them on this forum, I tried the free I See Sam readers with my almost 7 year old son a couple days ago. He loves them! They are the only books he has asked to practice reading. Normally it's a nightmare. He thinks they are hilarious and they are helping his fluency a great deal.

You are describing a similar problem that I have had.  I decided to drop OPGTR because my son was bored to death with it.  I had been looking at Simplycharlottemason.com and she suggested the Pathway Readers.  Timberdoodle.com also caught my eye with the same Pathway Readers so I decided to try them out.  My son LOVES them and better than that, he started reading better using just the readers over any other program I had been using before.  Many people on the forum scoff at the Pathway Readers but I found that we both enjoy the stories and they start easy and go up in reading levels as the kids move through the books just like any other reader.  I think my son likes the story lines.  He knows the characters and their names and he wants to find out what happens next.  What more can I ask for?  He still would rather play video games and play with Legos than read, but when I sit him down to do his reading, it's no longer a fight with him.  He actually laughs and tries to look ahead to see what is going to happen.  

• Like 1

You are describing a similar problem that I have had.  I decided to drop OPGTR because my son was bored to death with it.  I had been looking at Simplycharlottemason.com and she suggested the Pathway Readers.  Timberdoodle.com also caught my eye with the same Pathway Readers so I decided to try them out.  My son LOVES them and better than that, he started reading better using just the readers over any other program I had been using before.  Many people on the forum scoff at the Pathway Readers but I found that we both enjoy the stories and they start easy and go up in reading levels as the kids move through the books just like any other reader.  I think my son likes the story lines.  He knows the characters and their names and he wants to find out what happens next.  What more can I ask for?  He still would rather play video games and play with Legos than read, but when I sit him down to do his reading, it's no longer a fight with him.  He actually laughs and tries to look ahead to see what is going to happen.  

We had a set of Pathway Readers given to us (grades 2-7), with the workbooks.  They sat here for a good two years before I finally put them to use this year.  Both my girls enjoy the stories and with some tweaking, I have actually found the workbooks to be incredibly valuable too. 

• Like 1

The app suggestion reminded me - we have also been trying an app called Reading Raven and I've been very pleased so far.  You do need to be present to make sure your child is doing the task and not skipping forward though.  The program teaches correct letter formation using finger tracing, letter sounds, reading (including a slider bar under each word, which I really like), etc.  There is a second level as well, but we have not tried that yet.