Menu

Need help choosing highschool curriculum please

I'm looking to do something new for highschool. I'm not loving HOD. Slightly leaning towards SL, only because of their TM and student guides. I'm almost certain I don't want MFW. Anything else good? I definitely want a good TM that has lots of discussion questions and answers. Bonus if they have separate teacher and student guides. What are you using?

We use and love Tapestry of Grace, a Christian, Classical, History-based curriculum. Uses lots of the same books as SL. Comes in 4 year-plans...Year 1 is Creation to the Fall of Rome, Year 2 is Middle Ages through the 1700s, Year 3 is 1800s, and Year 4 is 1900s and early 2000s. It encompasses History, Literature, Bible/Church History, Arts/Activities, Government, Philosophy. You can pick and choose which subjects to use.

We use and love Tapestry of Grace, a Christian, Classical, History-based curriculum. Uses lots of the same books as SL. Comes in 4 year-plans...Year 1 is Creation to the Fall of Rome, Year 2 is Middle Ages through the 1700s, Year 3 is 1800s, and Year 4 is 1900s and early 2000s. It encompasses History, Literature, Bible/Church History, Arts/Activities, Government, Philosophy. You can pick and choose which subjects to use.

I've never used anything but  a TM that requires no planning from me.  Seems a little daunting.

Have you looked at Sonlght? It has many of the things you are looking for.

Yes.  I am in love with the TM's for their discussion questions and answers.  Though, it's mostly English I really want to change.  I just found out there's no help in grading writing assignments or literature.  Those are the two things I'm struggling with most.

I'm kinda looking for an English that's online or I can submit for grading would be ideal.  But, I'll be happy with something like SL that has good questions and answers, but I also need something to help me grade their compositions.

I loved SL all the way up until high school. I did not like their high school levels at all. Where their lower levels were very good at hitting a range of levels both below and above the target age-range, the high school levels were not.  I thought their US history course for 9th grade was a 7th-8th grade course at best. The 20th century world history course was extremely disappointing. It was completely scattered with no focus at all. A regular textbook would have been much better than that 20th century visual dictionary thing they used as the core.

Disclaimer: My last experience with SL was in 2009-2010 schoolyear.

I did like Oak Meadow's high school English and history. That's what I ended up switching over to.

I thought their US history course for 9th grade was a 7th-8th grade course at best. 

The US History course that used to be listed for 9th grade is now listed for 8th. Even SL agrees :). We used it for 7th and liked it, but for the OP if English is your weak subject, I really don't recommend SL. I consider it to be their weak subject too! I'm not sure why your are opposed to MFW, but I have heard it's writing instruction is much better. We used Excellence in Lit for high school English and were very happy with it. She gives sample papers and grading help, but doesn't teach writing. SL with Write at Home would be a good option. We've had some issues with WAH this year, but overall, I think it has been a good experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never used anything but  a TM that requires no planning from me.  Seems a little daunting.

TOG lets you choose the subjects, but they give you the book titles, the pages to read, activity pages/questions, and discussion guides to go along with their subjects.  Plus, TOG can be used for K-12th grade, a huge reason we use it.  The kids can all be studying the same topics, but at their age level.