Menu

Best Narrator for these audio books?

mommysanders

Hi there,

I'm planning to invest in a bunch of audio books since I think they will get used multiple times by multiple kids. Does anyone have an opinion on the best narrator for these books? I figure these are a good place to start.

The Tale of Peter Rabbit (and I also want the other stories by Potter)

Winnie The Pooh (and the other stories too)

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Pippi Longstocking

Winnie the Pooh:  We like enjoy the Peter Dennis and the Dench/Fry/Palmer.   The Peter Dennis version is a true unabridged reading.  He does different voices for each character.   The Dench/Fry/Palmer, whilst still a reading, feels more like a radio play with some sound effects added, and "he said", "said Kanga" etc cut out of the dialogue.  Geoffrey Palmer does a fantastic Eeyore.   Peter Dennis keeps every single word of text.  The Peter Dennis version was less expensive  (came a s a boxed set with both Pooh books and both poetry books included for a very nice price".

Beatrix Potter:  Shelley Fraser's narration is lovely.  Potter is public domain.  You might find a free version on Librivox that you like.

Wizard of Oz:  Also public domain.  The free Librivox version read by Phil Chenevert is pretty good.  He has read the entire series for Librivox.   We also have a purchased version read by Brooke Shields which is also good.

Pippi:  Esther Benson is excellent.

Winnie the Pooh - my personal favourite is Jim Broadbent, but Audible has the version with Peter Dennis and so that is what we've listened to the most. It's growing on me. Apparently Dennis is the 'official' recommendation from Milne's son.

Beatrix Potter - I've found this collection with a mix of narrators (one per story) to be quite pleasant: http://www.audible.com/pd/Kids/Beatrix-Potter-The-Complete-Tales-Audiobook/B007VOGDL8