Menu

East of Dallas boardie check in

Happy

It didn't hit in our area, but it came within a few miles of our new location.  One of my young co-workers lost her home.  The entire family was in the house, and it was destroyed around them.  I'm so thankful they were not hurt. 

ETA:  pictures of the family's home were posted on FB by a relative.  There is no roof to be seen, only the interior "utility" room where the family had taken shelter has any wall still standing  The parents and extended family were digging through the rubble to see if there is anything that could be salvaged while the teens went to be with other family members.  They found a large piece of wall art--still intact--that I'm sure my co-worker had painted, since it looks so much like the doodles she puts up in her desk area.  It is hand lettered on weathered, reclaimed lumber with the verse, "He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings will you find refuge."  How apropos.  Thank God for miracles in the midst of the storm.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 6

We're fine. The tornado was a just a couple of miles east of us. My daughters and I along with our upstairs neighbor stayed in our bathroom during worse part of the storm. My neighbor is 7 months pregnant and her husband was at work. She felt safer with us than alone in her apartment.

Very nasty storms last night. Glad you are fine.

• Like 1

It didn't hit in our area, but it came within a few miles of our new location.  One of my young co-workers lost her home.  The entire family was in the house, and it was destroyed around them.  I'm so thankful they were not hurt. 

ETA:  pictures of the family's home were posted on FB by a relative.  There is no roof to be seen, only the interior "utility" room where the family had taken shelter has any wall still standing  The parents and extended family were digging through the rubble to see if there is anything that could be salvaged while the teens went to be with other family members.  They found a large piece of wall art--still intact--that I'm sure my co-worker had painted, since it looks so much like the doodles she puts up in her desk area.  It is hand lettered on weathered, reclaimed lumber with the verse, "He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings will you find refuge."  How apropos.  Thank God for miracles in the midst of the storm.

What a story! That artwork will be precious--even more so--now.

• Like 1

We're fine. The tornado was a just a couple of miles east of us. My daughters and I along with our upstairs neighbor stayed in our bathroom during worse part of the storm. My neighbor is 7 months pregnant and her husband was at work. She felt safer with us than alone in her apartment.

Your upstairs neighbor was very smart.  The safest place (assuming one does not have access to a storm cellar) is to be on a lower floor and in a tiny room like a bathroom or a closet.

• Like 1

That's some scary weather! I can't imagine being in my house while it was destroyed. I'm so sorry for your friends.

Few new homes in North Central Texas have a storm cellar.  Usually, those are found in homes that are very old. Much more common to see swimming pools than storm cellars.  Now, there is a new thing, above ground shelters.  Texas Tech University has the "experts" on tornado survival and construction methods.  Apparently, people were reluctant to leave their homes, to enter a storm cellar in their yard, so now they recommend having the entrance to the storm cellar in the garage floor, so people won't need to leave their home, to enter their shelter.  A walk in closet can be made very strong, during construction of a new home, for a couple of hundred dollars and be a safer place during a storm.  

Mobile homes are the most dangerous places to be during a Tornado, even those secured according to Texas law.

• Like 1