Menu

CLEP Tests and Grades?

OK. It's been brought up on a yahoogroup i'm on that in one case, in Kansas, that anything you take a CLEP test for you get assigned a C, and it goes into your GPA.

How common is this???? The mom is working on entering a nursing program and quoted from her college catalog. SHe was telling people to have the kids take the class vs the test.

Other people indicated you got credit for it, but it did not impact your GPA.

Hence, i'm curious... i'd planned on DD trying to take some of the tests. But maybe that is a bad idea?

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I realize this is an old thread, but there has been a recent addition so I'm going to hop on here too.

There are only a few universities (Kansas is one of them, plus I know of Excelsior in NY) who will assign a letter grade to your CLEP or DSST exam score. The letter grade will depend on the score you achieved. It is not an automatic "C" (unless you hit the lowest passing score). At all the other accepting universities, you will see "CR" to show that you got credit for a passing score. Not figured in your GPA.

As always, check with the college first.

This. Always. No exceptions. No matter the subject or source.

Always check with the college FIRST.

ETA: and never assume all colleges are like the ones you checked.

Edited by Martha

Yes! Get the policy in writing - save web pages, catalogs, etc., with the documentation.

Yep. For that matter, don't assume the college policies are the same this year as last year or the year before that... Don't assume that the school policies you looked into when he was in 9th grade are still the same when he is graduating 4 years later.