Menu

For those of you who hate your ceramic cooktops...

We had a thread on this just the other day. Many of you reported that they are hard to clean, show fingerprints terribly, and just look awful. I need to get a new cooktop, and I want to know what to avoid. Is it the fact that they're flat that's the problem? Is it that they're ceramic? It's not the color because the OP said hers was white and my IRL friend has a black one with all the same problems. How can I be sure I'm not getting a high-maintenance cooktop?

I have a black flat top and I adore it!!!! occasionally it gets yucky, but its nothing that magic eraser or 409 cant fix. I love it because it is so much prettier than seeing yucky burners or burner covers. And it provides extra counter space when not being used. I just love it! I would never get white though....you'd see all dirt!

I love mine and do not see what the problem is either. It scrapes clean instantly with a utility scraper and a bit of water (I hear you aren't suppose to scrape 'dry'). As long as it gets a scrape after all serious cooking sessions, nothing gets baked on which I believe is the source of complaints from those who say they are hard to clean.

We had a thread on this just the other day. Many of you reported that they are hard to clean, show fingerprints terribly, and just look awful. I need to get a new cooktop, and I want to know what to avoid. Is it the fact that they're flat that's the problem? Is it that they're ceramic? It's not the color because the OP said hers was white and my IRL friend has a black one with all the same problems. How can I be sure I'm not getting a high-maintenance cooktop?
Older ceramic cooktops had these problems. I have a newer one (about a year and a half old). It's white, and cleans VERY easily. It also cooks very evenly. It cooks more evenly and cleans more easily than any other electric cooktop I've ever had. Mine is a Kenmore (Sears).

BUT, if I were able to, I would choose a gas cooktop over any electric.

I can get mine fairly clean with work (it is black) but I don't think they cook very evenly. I'd go with gas if I could do it all over again.

I have a black ceramic. It's a little annoying to clean - but nothing major. I just don't think it cooks anywhere near as nicely as gas - so I hate it for that reason. It's low to heat up, stays hot forever afterward, and just doesn't seem to get as hot as my old gas (different house). We were too cheap to have the kitchen plumbed for gas - but if given the choice again I would pay the extra and get a gas cook top.

You might look at Consumer Reports' thing on ranges and cooktops from 2007. IIRC, they did mention when a cooktop was particularly scratch-prone, or hard to clean? Maybe?

Anyway, I haven't had a problem with mine. When it gets crusty, dh takes a little scraper tool and scrapes it away. It may take a little elbow grease, but it's hardly an onerous chore.

You can probably find more information about ceramic cooktops at the Garden Web Kitchen Forum. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find their search function. You will probably pull up several threads that mention ceramic cooktops.

As I recall from searches quite awhile ago, there is a newer surface that is much better than the older surfaces that were used. I don't know, though, if all brands use that good surface (or what its name is).