Menu

Orlando area-homeschool groups that would accept a kid doing virtual school for health reasons?

Dmmetler

My 11 yr old niece is doing FLVS due to medical issues after a couple of years of increasing absences (and a 504). According to her mother, it's working OK academically, but when she does feel good enough to be social, she misses that part of school terribly. Right now her only regular social outlet is a every other week Girl Scout troop, where she manages, usually, maybe one meeting a month. She used to do competitive gymnastics, but now only manages the occasional open gym, so that is no longer a social outlet. Are there any groups that do casual meet ups (park day/beach day/casual field trip/hang out somewhere for a few hours) that would accept a virtual charter family where the two other kids are in PS and where the goal is to return to a traditional school? The family isn't anti-homeschooling and has been supportive of us doing so, but also are not homeschoolers and don't see themselves as such. They are not involved in a church on a regular basis, but would be OK with a Christian group if the group was OK with them.

Check out Mid-Florida Homeschoolers--they have a Facebook page.

I agree. Mid-Florida Homeschoolers is the best bet. There is also a pre-teen/teen group but at 11 she'd be the youngest and I don't know if mom would be happy about that. That group is a yahoo group. You can PM me what area she's in. We have a local weekly park day, but Orlando area is huge, so may not be close to her.