Menu

Has anyone used Saxon Physics?

Yes, I'm not fond of it.

Saxon Math worked well for my oldest and to a point with my younger one, but I worked through about 1/2 of the Saxon Physics book myself, and I don't think that approach is good for physics. A bit at a time doesn't give what you need to understand physics as a whole, and as Margaret noted, the scope-and-sequence doesn't line up with the SAT II. It does however work for the AP, if that is a goal.

My oldest did well in math but had some struggles along the way. I felt like it was more important that he finish pre-calculus in high school than to have math-based physics, so we went with the college-level version of Conceptual Physics.

I wish that there were more options for physics. Picking that subject has been tough here. There's a lot more out there for biology and chemistry.

• Like 4

Yes, I'm not fond of it.

Saxon Math worked well for my oldest and to a point with my younger one, but I worked through about 1/2 of the Saxon Physics book myself, and I don't think that approach is good for physics. A bit at a time doesn't give what you need to understand physics as a whole, and as Margaret noted, the scope-and-sequence doesn't line up with the SAT II. It does however work for the AP, if that is a goal.

My oldest did well in math but had some struggles along the way. I felt like it was more important that he finish pre-calculus in high school than to have math-based physics, so we went with the college-level version of Conceptual Physics.

I wish that there were more options for physics. Picking that subject has been tough here. There's a lot more out there for biology and chemistry.

Do you know if anything needs to be added in beyond Saxon in order to be successful with the AP exam? Thx!

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this thread! I just read that SWB recommends this program, but I'm glad to hear from people who have used this!  I think I'm back to considering Derek Owens...

I have been very impressed with how thorough the Derek Owens course is.  Just be sure to stay on track with the syllabus... :scared: