Menu

Parent input for an IEP

I thought it might help me to ask what others have done when providing parent input during the IEP process. I've heard that it may be helpful to write up a report on the official ETR form, just as the teachers and other evaluators do. I've also heard that not all schools allow this and instead include parent input as part of the psychologist's official section of the report.

I'm leery of asking our district directly, because they have been resistant to a few other things we've asked about. If I put my input on an official form, I think I would not ask in advance but just have it ready to hand in at the meeting, along with all of the other evaluations.

I have already provided them with three long reports that I created:

Background and developmental history of the child

Academic observations as the homeschool teacher

Overview of curriculum used, issues encountered, and accommodations provided during homeschooling.

They have A LOT of information from me already. But I'm not entirely confident that the psych will summarize it and include it in the ETR in the way that I would like. So now I've written up another report to take to the meeting. It is about two pages long and summarizes our main concerns and the needs that we think should be addressed in the IEP. I'm just wondering about the best way to present it.

If you have participated in an IEP, how did your school include the parent observations in the ETR?

For us, the principle and school guidance counselor both standing before me said the parents couldn't partake in the ETR. Our school is actually really nice and at least most of the time ( not all) try to be helpful.

So I drove to the school board and went into the homeschool office. We have alot of homeschoolers here. And asked her. She said yes we could and gav me the form and talked with me, advised me etc. I did not tell her I had already asked the school lol.

So...at the meeting we went in with both the ETR and our written ' eeport' we made.

They wound uo doing both, including both.

I will say tho...the rep. Forget his title , its supposed to be the parents rep but its not. He is clearly the rep of the 3 schools he is in charge of ' helping the parents' he absolutely DID NOT like thst we had an ETR. I really did t much care.

I do believe both were taken into account. Honestly for us after preschool and may e kindy....the services weren't thst good. It got our tearing done, but in retrospect , I'm not sure how comprehensive they were. But for us I think it was because the school didn't know how successful they would be treating our kids. And the schools DO NOT want failure on their part. It's how they get extra funding etc.

They set some pretty low goals for my boys after kindy. I think in part that was because they moved out of preschool from the best spec ed teacher God ever made lol. She intervened ALOT for my boys and challenged almost everything. She had been there 20 yrs. Longer than the principle. I'm sure thsts why.

That's what we did. I totally understand not wanting to make the school board or the powers that be mad. As homeschoolers we are scrutinized so much more then you put a SN in the mix and yup. Can feel like a touchy situation.

Don't back down at the meeting tho. Don't. That is your legal right and they have a legal obligation to fulfill .

You know your boys better than anyone. Tell them verbally and in writing ( looks like you have thst covered) but do it verbally in the meeting too and push. Let them know. You will not accept less than you feel your child needs. That's the I.portant thing to est for first meeting.

Nice, with a smile, but firm and not waivering or letting their verbage throw you off. Stand firm in what you KNOW . they don't know your child, you do.

Then when you sit down the second time, they will know they are going to have to bring something significant to the table to satisfy you and ' shut you up' lol.

• Like 3

I have filled out a form and they leave a big space for you to write about your child. That has been typed up and included in the IEP. It gives a good record of: what my top goals are, what I think stengths are, and what I think top goals are. I put some things going well. I put things about my child.

My older son's recently -- the teacher took out about 3 sentences and included them among her student description.

I believe I could ask for more things to be included in the "student information" kind of section.

I think if you like your two pages ----- I would ask that they be included in the "student information" kind of section that is towards the beginning.

Now -- I don't know how that works out as far as regulations.

I am just saying, I think they would do it for me where I am. I think they would have a heading that said "parent observations" or "parent notes" and it would just be 2 pages of the IEP.

I also think ---- b/c your kids are older, and this is your first IEP, it is really legitimate to have 2 pages.

Five years from now maybe with the combination of familiarity and what has already been included in the past, you might feel like "3 sentences included in the teacher's description, I think that looks good." It doesn't mean you have to think that now. Especially if you are unsure of the other people.

For my younger son's first IEP, they copied down a couple of paragraphs at least that I had given him. They needed to know a lot about things I was seeing at home etc. and they needed to know some skills he had at home that they had never seen from him. I felt like there was a lot that they didn't know.

Now, he has been in the same school 3 years. They know him. I don't feel concerns that he will not be fairly and fully described on the paperwork.

I think it is really important to feel that way and to see it done.

If you don't agree with something they write in their observation (like a student summary narrative blurb thing, that we can have), you can challenge it. I have challenged something and had it changed (after giving an alternate/fuller explanation). If something gives you a funny feeling, ask them to change it. I think you will regret it if you don't. You know your child more than they do, that is the bottom line. In that case, I felt like it was welcome and helpful information to them.

Edit: I think the change was, it said something like he is sometimes frustrated with schoolwork and can shut down, and it was changed to say that he is sometimes frustrated with x and y specifics related to schoolwork. I liked it a lot better. It tied into his handwriting challenges he was getting the IEP for. It made sense. It would help a teacher to read it, it gives better information about him.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

I would assume that if you don't write it up and bring it to the meeting, it won't be in the report. If they include information you previously supplied, that's a bonus. Our two ETR meetings (one for each boy) were very different even with the same people. I wanted my information to be put in the report as an equal participant because parents are supposed to be equal participants. I didn't want it redacted by someone with a different perspective or agenda.

• Like 2

Well, I think then I would want two things. One, the information included as written.

But two, read the rest and if something seems like it is not a fair/accurate representation, then ask that they change it. I think I would also ask for my disagreement to be included on the same page. Like -- I would ask them to put in parentheses, "parent's perspective is blah blah" right there where you see the thing you don't like.

I don't know if they would do it -- I would ask, though.

I understand, though, some things are not so simple as "here is something I disagree with." It could be an entire characterization, and not a single piece of information. It could be the big picture that is presented. That is where -- I think it would not be satisfactory to just have things like that.

I have not had anything contentious, but I have certainly disagreed and asked for changes.

I think it is like a performance review. It needs to be good! If it is not good, well, there it is, that is your record. It is not fair if it is not giving the information in a way that would help give a good picture of what is going on.

You might be able to ask for a draft ahead of time, to see what they have. Like, maybe it is just a matter of somebody pressing "print" and you go pick it up.

If there are multiple people each writing their section, they might not have that collated yet.

But, if there is a main portion -- that could already be done, and available to you if you ask for a draft. To me it is worth asking.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 3

Ohhh Lecka makes a really good point and in a couple cases for us , was the only reason the would uo the expectations for the child .

She is right....HAVE YOUR DISPUTE/ NOT AGREEMENT WITH , however they word it...on that same sheet of paper. That was literally vital for us a couple times.

Also, how long have you been seeing the kids pediatrician? And of you have a good relationship with them, I would ask for their input too.

Our pediatrician we have had for 20 years ( with the big kids too) he's awesome and he knows all my kids very well.

He wrote up his take on things he observed when proded. Like...speech, hyper, couldn't perform certain tasks.

I had thst with me when I went in for the first meeting. A Pediatric ' report' will go way further than parent observation eap. When we homeschool. It shouldn't be that way but sometimes it is. Not saying it will be thst way for you.

Still, if at all possible I would have pediatrician write something up too.

You could even take him in for a special visit for thst.

Show the pediatrician through the child what you are talking about, depending on what they need help with.

Obviously they won't know all accedemic stuff but you could ask the child to read for the pediatrician, or exhibit w/e defincincies you think he has.

Our pediatrician was great for this. He's very pro homeschool and knows what kind of parents we are.

Definitely something to consider .

• Like 1

Just a couple of comments before I dash back out the door.

We submitted a pile of medical documents, so we have that covered.

We asked if we could see any reports/evaluation results ahead of the meeting, and they said no. I consulted with our state board of ed, who said that the school did not have to give the reports to me in advance legally. So I'm going into the meeting not sure what they are going to say.

The psych was allowed to send me a copy of her background report, which was just a restatement of the NP test results from a year and a half ago. She included one small comment from an email I wrote. Keep in mind that I handed in 20 plus pages of information that I wrote, so one little blurb does not adequately represent our perspective as parents. Perhaps she has written more for the parent input that I did not see, but I'm going to have to go into the meeting assuming that what we've received so far might be it.

We've given them a lot of oral information in meetings as well (this is our third meeting, not our first, and it will determine the eligibility for IEPs for two of my children).

I'm definitely going to give them my summary. I'm just deciding on the best way to do it. Given how they have treated us so far, I expect they would be resistant if I hand a report written on the official ETR PR-06 form, but if I just submit what I have written and it is not on the form, how does it get incorporated into the ETR document?

My son has multiple issues, and I'm worried they will overlook some or consider some of them unimportant. My two-page summary focuses on what I think are the most important problems to address and explains why. It also lists all of his diagnoses and says that they are documented weaknesses and/or disabilities that should be addressed in an IEP in order to ensure that he is able to obtain an appropriate education.

I do not list any services or accommodations that I think he should receive, although I do have a separate list of what we are hoping to get into the IEP. I'll bring that list with me to the meeting just in case, but I think it is more appropriate for the meeting where we will write the IEP.

My other child will be discussed, too (the meetings are back to back) but her situation is less complex.

By the way, the school psych is super nice (our problems have not been with her). One possibility is to email her my two-page summary and ask her to include it as parent input. But I wouldn't have a way to be sure that she used it exactly as is and did not change it (until I see it at the meeting, of course). I think it might be better just to walk into the meeting with my report typed up, ready to hand it in.

But since I haven't been to an ETR meeting before, I'm not sure how receptive they will be to any of it. It hasn't been particularly nice to work with them so far, so I'm not expecting them to be just happy and smiling and willing to add in anything I suggest.

By the way, the school psych is super nice (our problems have not been with her). One possibility is to email her my two-page summary and ask her to include it as parent input. But I wouldn't have a way to be sure that she used it exactly as is and did not change it (until I see it at the meeting, of course). I think it might be better just to walk into the meeting with my report typed up, ready to hand it in.

But since I haven't been to an ETR meeting before, I'm not sure how receptive they will be to any of it. It hasn't been particularly nice to work with them so far, so I'm not expecting them to be just happy and smiling and willing to add in anything I suggest.

Since the actual meeting invitation says that parents can bring input, reports, etc. to the meeting, then no one should be upset that you do.

Our psych dissented with the agreement of the team as to my son's qualifying condition. He wrote it up on the spot and inserted it right into the ETR document. Just make sure you ask a for a complete copy before you sign, and then check for your stuff. 

• Like 2

Here's what I would do Nd have done more than once. Now that I have more info from you.

You have done a great job preparing this. Most people don't do this and we did also. I personally believe and some of my friends are of the same mind set.

When we as parents intervene and want to be a part of the process? Tho this is now how we intend it? ....is the school thinks/feels like they are being ' attacked' in some way. I know thsts not what you're doing. We all see you are doing what is in fact right for your kids. Having said that.

The school will almost ALWAYS veiw this as adversarial. Why? Because they are accustomed to parents who just drop the kids off and let the school sort it out, TELL the parents what must or must not b done with their own children. Accept it as fact and let them be.

The school system is very protective of their system and most of them in the system believe they are correct, the parent is wrong Nd they know best.

A perfect example of this is the teacher union. I know politics are a no no on the boards so I will leave it at that. Loom at them historically and the immense POWER they have politically. ( wrong IMO. Very wrong)

Institution . the public school system is in fact an institution . like..other institutions you can think of :) I'm being delicate here. But I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

• Like 1

If the meeting doesn't go the way you want? And it's happe d with us, you can request a follow up meeting after they have considered your dipute of any given result. Just because this is the one that is supposed to determine what they will get....doesn't mean it has to be.

• Like 1

Check or you may know, what your state laws are on this but in our state...they legally have to take under advisement and....SHOW PROOF why your kids wouldn't get that therapy or the like.

If you don't like how it's going they can even change it right there and make it happen.

I would go in all happy, shaking hands, how was your thanksgiving things like that.

I have found for we get more with honey than vinegar. I'm sure your not giving them vinegar and man ...vinegar DEFINITELY has its place ;) I'm a big fan of it actually when need be...but if you start out very warm and cheerful ...thwy will be more likely to give you what you want the first time and even maybe change it on the spot

Thwy went back the first time and scheduled another meeting....after thst for us? They jus changed it on the alot. They knew we were not back in down, knew our rights and ....with a smile:) let them know it :) tee hee

You've done an excellent job.

I would trust in that and ....have them change it.

Remember they are emotional creatures too. Like when u go to McDonalds and the cashier likea you hell be more inclined to give you extras like ketchup etc without balking or even being asked. Ita jus human nature.

I know our kids are not McDonalds....jus an everyday analogy that I could think of on the fly. :)

I bet your meeting goes better than expected :)

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

Thanks! I've been printing some things out over the past day or so, and I haven't fetched the stack of papers from my printer yet, but I'm pretty sure I ran off a copy of the statute that states that parents are allowed to provide a written report. I plan to take that with us to the meeting.

You are right about approaching with honey, not vinegar. The first meeting that we had at the beginning of the school year was downright unpleasant, so I was dreading the second meeting, but that one went well, and the unpleasant person (the district special ed coordinator) was friendly that time. I'm hoping that things will go well for this meeting, but since it's impossible to predict whether her claws will be out or not, I feel anxious.

Thanks for your encouragement! I think we are very well prepared, but I hate this uncertainty.

• Like 2