Menu

please suggest a good starter tablet or laptop for a 9yo.

TX Native

My friend would like to buy her grandson his 1st tablet or a starter laptop. She mostly wants him to be able to do some educational or fun games, read books, listen to audiobooks, and research things of interest. She wants to try to find a good online deal this week, but doesn't usually do online shopping. I am not up on what the best deals are on computers and tablets. She doesn't know much about the different choices and asked me for advice. I have told her the little I know about the devices described below, but would like to suggest something else as well. She and I both have ipads that we like, but the IPad Air may be too much money and she doesn't want to get him the mini. I do plan to refer her to Apple's refurbished ipad sale site just in case it ends up being an option. I would like to suggest 1-2 reasonably priced tablets and 1-2 cheaper but functional laptops.

The tablet I was thinking of is the larger screened kindle. Is there something else comparable or better that is a good value? The 7 in sized Kindle is smaller than she would like. Any other suggestions?

I am thinking a Samsung Chromebook for the laptop type option, but I have no idea if this is worth buying for a 9 yo. I've only heard about it and have never seen one up close. Any other suggestions?

My husband thinks a touchscreen tablet would be a better choice for him, but he only knows about the Kindles and iPads.

If you suggest something, please let me know where and when she can get it for the best deal, if you know that info. TIA

Samsung Galaxy android tablet. Super easy to use, 16gb ones run around $200 now and since they take a microsD storage, they are expandable (unlike the iPad). DD21 takes hers everywhere for college classes and research and it has taken a real beating but still works great. I bought her a case with a detattchable blue tooth keyboard, but the onscreen one works just fine.

Walmart, Best Buy, Costco all carry these and I am sure you can find them other places..

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 3

My friend would like to buy her grandson his 1st tablet or a starter laptop. She mostly wants him to be able to do some educational or fun games, read books, listen to audiobooks, and research things of interest. She wants to try to find a good online deal this week, but doesn't usually do online shopping. I am not up on what the best deals are on computers and tablets. She doesn't know much about the different choices and asked me for advice. I have told her the little I know about the devices described below, but would like to suggest something else as well. She and I both have ipads that we like, but the IPad Air may be too much money and she doesn't want to get him the mini. I do plan to refer her to Apple's refurbished ipad sale site just in case it ends up being an option. I would like to suggest 1-2 reasonably priced tablets and 1-2 cheaper but functional laptops.

The tablet I was thinking of is the larger screened kindle. Is there something else comparable or better that is a good value? The 7 in sized Kindle is smaller than she would like. Any other suggestions?

I am thinking a Samsung Chromebook for the laptop type option, but I have no idea if this is worth buying for a 9 yo. I've only heard about it and have never seen one up close. Any other suggestions?

My husband thinks a touchscreen tablet would be a better choice for him, but he only knows about the Kindles and iPads.

If you suggest something, please let me know where and when she can get it for the best deal, if you know that info. TIA

A Chromebook would be a good choice if you want it more for schoolwork, but it's a bit limited for games and fun stuff.  I would second the recommendation for a Samsung Galaxy tablet. It's much more flexible and durable than an iPad and will do everything you are wanting. 

• Like 1

I am just going to throw in there that we had 10" tablets (iPads) before we started getting the 7" ones.  We now have 4 of the 7" tablets (iPads and Android tablets) and love them.  They are far more portable and easier to hold, and lighter.

My 11 year old wouldn't even want a 10" tablet.  He has the 7" Galaxy Tablet.  And I just got an iPad mini for myself and will not go back to a 10".  I love it.  It is so much lighter, fits in my purse better, etc.....

• Like 1

The $50 Kindle Fire is an unbeatable value, even considering the screen size.

But it is only 8gb.  It isn't expandable is it?  

My 11 year old has a Galaxy Tablet and has expanded it to hold the original 16gb and an additional 32gb and it is almost full.  He was complaining about it the other day.

Kids like to have games on their tablets and they fill up quickly.

I have a 16gb ipad mini only because I got it for free when I purchased my iPhone 6+.  However, I don't keep much on it (very few photos) as I have the 128gb phone to keep all that on.  I would much prefer at least 32gb on my iPad.

ETA:  If you do want the Kindle Fire 8gb, rumor has it that it will be $34.99 on November 26th for a Black Friday deal.

http://www.theblackfriday.com/amazon-blackfriday.shtml

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1