Menu

Costa Rica travel advice wanted.

SunshineMom

Atlantic or Pacific side?

Either way, don't miss the interior. Everyone raves about the beaches, but zip lining through the rainforest, bathing in volcanic hot springs, and lazy horseback rides in search of beautiful birds were some of my favorite activities.

• Like 4

Pacific side near Jaco.  Yes, planning to do the above:)  Did you do much snorkeling?  We snorkeled in Hawaii and it was amazing but I don't hear too much about it in reference to Costa Rica.  We are renting a car so we can explore as well.  We drove a lot through parts of Mexico, specifically the Yucatan Peninsula area.  Did you drive in Costa Rica?

We went to Costa Rica about 10 years ago with the boys and my parents.  We rented a minivan - roads are not very well maintained, but driving was not difficult.  We rented a house via VRBO in Samara.  The beach there was nice and safe.  We purchased a trip with some local guides to the islands just off the coast.  A couple of the boys went fishing with dad and the local guide and had a great time.  The other 2, who don't like to fish, went with me kayaking with another guide.  We landed on the island and had a "local" lunch and snorkled. That was a great experience as well.  From there we went to the volcano, Arenal, and enjoyed the jungle experience - zipline, rafting, horseback riding, mud pots, sauna, etc.  We flew into and out of Liberia - very easy even though we speak very little Spanish.  We drove the wheels off that minivan lol.  

• Like 1

We did the normal tourist stuff except the zip line. So, so fun. We saw the bottom of Arenal, we went to Jaco to watch the amazing surfers, the crocs re intense and huge. We rented a van and had a driver take us to all the spots we wanted to see. The cost was a fraction of the price of renting a car and much safer. Also, we could stop for  cocktail anytime we wanted. 

• Like 1

Thanks Miss Marple, sounds like you had a wonderful time!   We are renting a house via VRBO as well.  I am glad to know driving wasn't difficult.  Regarding the ziplines, how comfortable was the experience?  

It was one of the highlights of the trip. The guides were friendly and concerned with safety.  We went over deep ravines and through beautiful jungle.  It was awesome!  Last spring I did a zipline in Nicaragua which was nothing in comparison.  Not for the person who is afraid of heights.  My son just got home and I asked him about it.  He said it was probably the most fun he has ever had although at the time he was a bit scared.  He was about 9 at the time (19 now).

• Like 1

We are planning a trip to Costa Rica in January with our two teens.  We've traveled to other parts of Central and South America but not Costa Rica.  

Anyone familiar with Costa Rica like to share some advice before we go?  

I have no experience with or advice for you on actual travel to/in/from Costa Rica, BUT I do have a song to put in your and your kids' heads before you go!  It's a travel video for Costa Rica called "Save the Americans" (there's a "Save the Canadians" version, too).  It's currently the most sung video-song in hour home.  Yeah, you're welcome! ;) 

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM4kdy39ZIY

Edited by milovany
  • Like 3

Another vote here for zip-lining!  Unforgettable experience!  Be prepared to hike a bit and climb some towers that might challenge you if you're really afraid of heights.  It was an adventure for us and we loved it!  No experience needed--just a bit of courage.  We were added to a group; one of the families in it had 2 younger girls--maybe 4- and 6-years-old.  They loved it and had no problems doing it, if that gives you any gauge.  The best part was a tower/line that went right through a cloud (rainforest clouds are low).  We couldn't see the other side until we "landed"--beautiful experience.  

Don't miss Volcan Arenal if you're in that area.  Monteverde rainforest/park--totally worth the time.  The flora and fauna is amazing.  We walked along rope bridges and actually spotted a Quetzal (elusive national bird with exquisite tail feathers.)  If you're into birds, buy a bird book for the region.  Take a tour and see toucans along the volcanic slopes.  You can see monkeys in trees alongside the road and hear howler monkeys.  

We rented a little SUV.  Yes, bad roads, but worth it to take detours and see glimpses of real life.  We stayed away from over-developed areas and saw so many cool everyday scenes of people herding cows, walking to school, watching a sunset.  I still remember driving on some high, narrow mountain roads and that was a very cool part of the experience.  If I remember correctly, the car rental was the largest expense on the trip.  

I'm fluent in Spanish and my husband wasn't, but people seemed to appreciate any effort we put forth to communicate in Spanish--even if it wasn't spoken well.  We noticed a lot of English, German, and other languages in the touristy areas: signs, room rentals, prices, etc.  It was no problem to get around.  

Lots of fresh tropical fruit and simple, healthy fare everywhere: black beans, rice, vegetal sauce...We ate lots of whole pineapples, papayas, juices.  

Spent some time on the West coast.  Amazing, tropical beaches--beautiful and relaxed.  Some places rent rooms that are "treehouses"--screened in but otherwise open to the breezes, wildlife, night jungle sounds.  The only spots that felt a little "iffy" in terms of pick-pockets or seedy areas were parts of San Jose and around some of the ferry terminals, etc. because you can stick out, even if you don't call attention to yourself.  We wore moneybelts and just turned our daypacks around to the front in crowded areas.  I don't know if that's changed.  The indoor and outdoor markets in the capital were worth checking out--especially from a cultural aspect--even if you don't like to "shop."  All considered, we felt safer there than in some major US cities.  People were friendly and welcoming, in general.  I hope it hasn't been too developed since then, as I'd go back in a heartbeat.  

Have a blast!  Pura vida!

• Like 3

It's been a few years since I was there, but I generally agree with others - Arenal is definitely worth visiting, the beaches are wonderful.

I would throw in that I preferred hiring a driver to renting a car. I was there seven weeks and did both at different times. I could hire a driver for most trips for the same price as the car rental would have cost me and the drivers knew far better tiny little food stands, restaurants, and roadside attractions.

• Like 1