Menu

Curious - anyone else have a student taking AP Music Theory?

My daughter is using an AP Music Theory book in her private music theory lessons. We are not oriented toward taking the test, though, just trying to learn.

What is PAHS? Is it online?

PAHS is also called AP Homeschoolers.  Here's the link for the AP Music Theory online class they offer:

http://www.aphomeschoolers.com/cgi-bin/choose.pl?class=mtheory

Which book is your daughter using in her private lessons?  Dd is also doing theory through the RCM (Royal Conservatory of Music) so she's getting an awful lot of music theory this year. :)

I'm curious about this class, too. I was just reading about it on the PAHS site a few weeks ago and was surprised by how time-intensive it sounded.

I think all AP courses are relatively time-intensive.  Dd isn't finding AP Music Theory to be too bad yet but she does have a fairly strong background already.  I think it would probably be a different story if she was going in with a different background.

I was just curious to see if any other WTMers had students doing AP Music Theory this year. :)

I majored in piano performance and music education so I taught AP music theory to my oldest boy. We followed the AP syllabus from the collegeboard, but it is such a rare test in this part of Michigan that I was not able to get him a seat for the exam.

The AP texts move quickly. I don't recommend it for students who are not good sight readers, strong in music literacy to begin with, or who do not play an instrument very well. It is not a course that is for the feint of heart as it assumes a LOT of musical exposure. The texts cover the basics, but a rapid speed.

• Like 1

I majored in piano performance and music education so I taught AP music theory to my oldest boy. We followed the AP syllabus from the collegeboard, but it is such a rare test in this part of Michigan that I was not able to get him a seat for the exam.

The AP texts move quickly. I don't recommend it for students who are not good sight readers, strong in music literacy to begin with, or who do not play an instrument very well. It is not a course that is for the feint of heart as it assumes a LOT of musical exposure. The texts cover the basics, but a rapid speed.

I agree, Faith.  Dd has had a lot of past music theory and music history courses and is currently also taking Intermediate Harmony (used to be called Grade 4 Harmony) and History II: Middle Ages through Baroque through online classes in order to write those RCM exams this year in addition to the AP Music Theory course.  This is a great first AP course for her because of her background but she's an odd duck that way. :) She's really enjoying the course, though!

• Like 1