Menu

Secular online science providers with labs

Dd is currently in 7th grade and we are evaluating whether to homeschool through high school or not.  Should we decide to, I will need to outsource science.  Our only online class experience is Lukeion Latin.  This is dd's second year and that is going very well.  Not sure if that means our bar is high or low for online class experiences.  I am looking for recommendations that meet the following criteria:

1.  Secular or at least secular-friendly

2.  Offers the full spectrum of typical high school classes (we would prefer to use a single provider for multiple years if possible)

3.  Offers regular high school level classes (rather than or at least in addition to honors/AP)

4.  Offers labs

5.  Live classes preferred (but not a deal-breaker)

6.  Willing to admit 8th grade students*

*I plan to have dd take one class as an 8th grader as this will be part of evaluating whether homeschooling for high school is a real option.

• Like 2

This doesn't meet all your criteria, but I would recommend Derek Owens.  We used him for Physics in 9th grade.  You may read my review here.  He also offers Physical Science.

While I like the idea of a single provider for multiple years, the quality of the class/instruction was more important to me, and I was willing to pick and choose for an outstanding instructor.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Wouldn't Well Trained Mind Academy work? DC have not taken any classes but I've done a lot of research and it looks like it would meet you needs (and mine if I can afford it).

Yes.  This is on my list.  Maybe someone here knows, but I am curious how writing-heavy it is given the classical theme?  

Yes.  This is on my list.  Maybe someone here knows, but I am curious how writing-heavy it is given the classical theme?  

There is some reading and one short writing assignment first semester.  (My dd is reading Selfish Gene.)  I'm usually not a big fan of cross curricular overlap (is there a word for this?), but I thought this was appropriate.  

Also check out Online G3.  

DD is in 9th grade (TTUISD) and she is taking Biology.  I believe this school year (2015-2016) is the last school year they will use the textbook they are using now, because I know they have been working on a new Biology course, for the past year or two. The current textbook is available at very low cost (I think we bought a copy for one cent or one dollar plus shipping).  They use a CD for Virtual Labs.

Yesterday, I asked DD, "Of your 7 courses, which ones do you like the best?" and her reply was, "Biology and Web Design".

TTUISD "Online" courses are Asynchronous.   GL with whatever you decide to use!

ETA: I reread the first post again. DD was in TTUISD Middle School, so they also offer courses below 9th grade. I think that might be a good thing for new students, so they become familiar with how things are done (interfacing with the "Moodle" server, etc.) before hitting High School. 

Edited by Lanny

DD is in 9th grade (TTUISD) and she is taking Biology.  I believe this school year (2015-2016) is the last school year they will use the textbook they are using now, because I know they have been working on a new Biology course, for the past year or two. The current textbook is available at very low cost (I think we bought a copy for one cent or one dollar plus shipping).  They use a CD for Virtual Labs.

Yesterday, I asked DD, "Of your 7 courses, which ones do you like the best?" and her reply was, "Biology and Web Design".

TTUISD "Online" courses are Asynchronous.   GL with whatever you decide to use!

ETA: I reread the first post again. DD was in TTUISD Middle School, so they also offer courses below 9th grade. I think that might be a good thing for new students, so they become familiar with how things are done (interfacing with the "Moodle" server, etc.) before hitting High School. 

Can you tell me what TTUISD means?

There is some reading and one short writing assignment first semester.  (My dd is reading Selfish Gene.)  I'm usually not a big fan of cross curricular overlap (is there a word for this?), but I thought this was appropriate.  

Also check out Online G3.  

Some writing is OK, I would just prefer science be science and writing be writing for his particular child at this particular time for a variety of reasons.  

• Like 1

Thanks!

I took a look and it appears that anyone can enroll?  Even people not in Texas?

Yes. We live in South America.   When DD was in TTUISD Middle School, she was a "Supplemental" student (not enrolled), which saves a little money and some examinations.  Now that she is in High School, she is Enrolled, and there are a lot of requirements, so that she will receive a High School diploma from TTUISD.

If you are interested, I would suggest beginning at a "Supplemental" student, and trying 1 or 2 8th grade courses, as you mentioned, before thinking about Enrolling for High School. 

The Final Examinations require an Approved Proctor and must be passed. Our Approved Proctor is a lady who teaches Chemistry.

IMHO the TTUISD courses are very thorough and I cannot imagine that in a brick and mortar public school in Texas, or anywhere else, using the same textbooks DD uses, that they could possibly cover all of the material TTUISD courses cover. The brick and mortar schools just don't have enough time to be that thorough.

They have students in many states and in many countries.

The courses are Asynchronous and require a lot of Time Management and Self Discipline from the students.

GL with whatever you decide to do!

Edited by Lanny