Menu

Is my swimmer allergic to chlorine or other pool chemicals??

Aaagh.

My 11yo dd swims on swim team. Last night was their first practice of the season back in the pool (which just reopened).

This morning she woke up late, coughing and sneezing (mostly sneezing), complaining of sore throat and pain in her ears.

She keeps tossing out the possibility that she's allergic to the chlorine (or whatever chemicals they're using in the pool).

Please tell me it isn't so!!! Please tell me she's just caught some bug that's going around.

This is the ONLY sport/exercise/athletic activity this child has been successful in, ever!

:ack2:

It sounds like she's been swimming previously. Unless you swam in exclusively salt water pools then I think it is unlikely she is allergic. I would ask the pool management to check the balance of chemicals. Then, you might consider seasonal allergies. There is something that is bad in September in my area. I don't know anymore, because my ds reacts to all of it (plants, trees, grasses, molds). But I know people who only have problems in September or only in May etc. Anyway, consider local seasonal allergies. If your dd was out yesterday, or you had your windows open, she could be affected.

Did she have these symptoms when she was swimming before? If yes and they disappeared when she was out for break, and reappeared now that she is back at it; most likely yes. If not, most likely a virus. Of course, she could have developed an allergy, but it is more likely to be a bug.

I notice sneezing and runny nose about 15 minutes after I get out (which I didn't as a child). It's hard to imagine it taking all night for an allergic reaction to set in. Wouldn't it start after practice and be clearing up by morning?

Viruses are already going around and we have a friend with strep. Way too early in the season as far as I'm concerned.