Menu

Snake Oil, the game -- please share your thoughts

Kareni

Snake Oil Card Game  was mentioned in another thread, and it sounds like fun.

If you have experience with it, please share your thoughts.  Do you like it?  What ages have you played it with?  Do other adults enjoy it?  Does it continue to be fun over time?  Does it seem duplicative of other games you have?

If you're familiar with Snake Oil Elixir Card Game and Snake Oil Party Potion, please share about those as well.

Regards,

Kareni

We have it. We have played it with a group where the youngest was 7 and the oldest 58. It is fun, however there aren't enough cards to make it fun over time. We played it probably 5-10 times and grew tired of it. If you have a variety of people and can play with different groups it would have more longevity. We have had more success with a game called Likewise - we play it all the time with the same group and it is always a hit!

• Like 1

We have Snake Oil and have played several times.  However, the number of cards in a single box (for the "occupation" cards, at least) is kind of small, so you can combine it with any of the other Snake Oil versions to add more cards later on if you like!  (We haven't yet, but we go to a gaming place and they combined 2 boxes into one for customers to play.) This game, IMO, depends on personalities.  I thought I would HATE it because I don't like ad-libbing or being put on the spot.  But I really like it with my family because we're all weird!  

Do you understand the game play?  It's pretty straightforward and there are some videos online of people playing it to get a better idea.

Btw, we also have Likewise and think that is fun, too, but we're so used to the cards now that we need new ones.  Sometimes we make up our own categories.

• Like 1

Forgot to add that what I like about it is that you NEVER have to play in a round that you don't want to.  You can wait for a good personality card to come up and sometimes we even allow swapping out of cards for our hand if we're not having any luck.  :P  We bring up the oddball products that we pitch in this game at random times, so I'd say it's lasting fun.  LOL  But it really does depend on your players!

• Like 1

If your group likes drawing, we've had great fun with Telestrations.  It's like the Telephone game with drawings and everyone participates in every round.  http://www.amazon.com/Telestrations-8-Player-The-Original/dp/B001SN8GF4 (There is a set for 8 or 12 players, btw.)  We play with 8yo and up, but we've got some mad drawing skills in this family (dh's genes, not mine! lol).

• Like 1

We have Snake Oil and have played several times.  ...

Many thanks, 6packofun, for your thoughts on Snake Oil as well as on Likewise and Telestrations.  I understand what you mean about the personalities of the players making a difference.  One of our favorite games is Wise and Otherwise and different players can make quite an impact.

If I may ask, what are your family's favorite games?

Regards,

Kareni

We have a lot of games and also have a membership to a little gaming place where we get to try ones that we don't own!  LOL

Our personalities vary a lot.  I have a son who loves Settlers of Catan, but he and I have to drag others kicking and screaming to play with us.   :p

We like:

Ticket to Ride

Wits & Wagers

Mysterium

Concept

Sheriff of Nottingham

Love Letter (we have the Batman edition)

Resistance Avalon (think the werewolf game with a king arthur theme)

Telestrations

Betrayal at House on the Hill

Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert

Dixit (Dixit Odyssey is more for a group, I think?)

Pandemic

Zombie 15

Fluxx card games

Snake Oil

Mystery of the Abbey

Most of these are NOT party games, but we have 6 kids so there is usually a game going on at some point during the week.  lol  (We have about 25+ more games I did not list, too.)

Another "game" we get a LOT of use out of that IS fun for several people is the Jackbox Party Pack (2nd one just came out, I think!!) and you buy/download them to your gaming console and play on devices!  We have tablets, and iPhone, and laptops to use so we can pretty much all join in.  Even the 9yo likes these, although there is the occasional irreverent thing.  You can take a look here:  http://jackboxgames.com/

• Like 1

Here is a list of the games that our little gaming place has.  You can sort according to game TYPE, which is helpful, and it gives you a general idea of how long it takes to play, # of players, etc.

http://maltedmeeple.com/games/

Thanks for sharing that list!  And now I want a gaming place like that down the street ....

Regards,

Kareni