Menu

LDS question

Moxie

Hypothetical situation--say my daughter converts and marries a Mormom. I die as a Catholic. It it then her responsibility to go back and have my marriage sealed so I can get to Heaven?

Hypothetical situation--say my daughter converts and marries a Mormom. I die as a Catholic. It it then her responsibility to go back and have my marriage sealed so I can get to Heaven?

Other members would expect her to "extend the blessings of temple ordinances to you," yes, even if you explicitly state that you don't wish it. The idea is that on the other side, you'll understand more and change your mind and want the work.

OK, I did some more googling and found that, if the widow does not have her prior sealing canceled, then she and ALL her children (including any from a subsequent marriage) remain sealed to her first, sealed spouse. Thus the need to have her earlier sealing canceled so that her new husband can be sealed to his children and his wife . . .

Is this correct, LDS folks?

OK, I did some more googling and found that, if the widow does not have her prior sealing canceled, then she and ALL her children (including any from a subsequent marriage) remain sealed to her first, sealed spouse. Thus the need to have her earlier sealing canceled so that her new husband can be sealed to his children and his wife . . .

Is this correct, LDS folks?

Yes. If a woman's first sealing has not been canceled, any additional children (even if from a different father) are sealed to the first husband.

This understanding/policy makes widowed Mormon women have a tougher time in the dating scene because most Mormon men wouldn't want to marry a woman to whom they couldn't be sealed.

Yes. If a woman's first sealing has not been canceled, any additional children (even if from a different father) are sealed to the first husband.

This understanding/policy makes widowed Mormon women have a tougher time in the dating scene because most Mormon men wouldn't want to marry a woman to whom they couldn't be sealed.

Thanks for the confirmation. Such a confusing theology. 

And keep in mind, the Sealing ceremony contains the *promise* of being together as a family in the eternities, but it's in the final judgement that it's all finalized. So just because a woman has the sealing ordnance done for her and her abusive, drunken husband, it doesn't mean she's now eternally stuck with him.

Hmmm......that leads me to another question.  In the afterlife, is he no longer abusive and drunk?

In "traditional" Christian theology, repentance brings absolution and in  heaven we are made perfect.  Is this true for LDS as well?   So would they still be sealed but he would be perfected?

And if not, where does he go?  And is she sealed to someone else?

I don't know that there were many places that even required a license. it was really spotty, from county to county (and state to state), as to what was required. states didn't generally start requiring marriage certificates be filed with them until around WWI.

church records during the period are most likely. and it varies by if it is a city (more access to services) - or rural with an itinerant preacher. or if a wedding was performed by the local magistrate because there wasn't a regular preacher.

being it's Denver - church records might be a best bet. (depending upon the church/congregation)

That is what I was thinking. I believe I know tha church, because I found the family on a membership list for church at a later date.

If something is online, say ancestry or Denver Public Library, easy. Calling/writing is another level of effort, one that I will have more of.

Hmmm......that leads me to another question. In the afterlife, is he no longer abusive and drunk?

In "traditional" Christian theology, repentance brings absolution and in heaven we are made perfect. Is this true for LDS as well? So would they still be sealed but he would be perfected?

And if not, where does he go? And is she sealed to someone else?

I don't know if the answer to the first question has really been fleshed out.

For the second question, under polygamous prophets it was taught that a woman sealed to an unworthy man would be (essentially) reassigned to a worthy priesthood holder (which at that time meant a polygamist). I don't really know what current teaching is beyond "it will all work out in the end."