Menu

Online writing program choices....

Are you looking for a online class with live interaction?

My kids have gotten a lot out of the home2teach classes. Sometimes the teacher can be negative ( like the high school English teacher we all tried to avoid). However, it is live, and the daily revisions have taught my nonwriters to write and not to fear college writing . If you go this route, there is paperwork due the week before class starts, and a strict writing placement. As much as we love the idea of Bravewtiter, my kids prefer a live class . If yours don't care, I would go with Bravewriter.

Are you looking for a online class with live interaction?

My kids have gotten a lot out of the home2teach classes. Sometimes the teacher can be negative ( like the high school English teacher we all tried to avoid). However, it is live, and the daily revisions have taught my nonwriters to write and not to fear college writing . If you go this route, there is paperwork due the week before class starts, and a strict writing placement. As much as we love the idea of Bravewtiter, my kids prefer a live class . If yours don't care, I would go with Bravewriter.

We had a terrible experience with home2teach.  I suggest you try to determine good/bad teachers before you sign up.  You may read about it here.  I'm so shocked that I was able to find it in the archives.

• Like 1

"I" love what Brave Writer has done for writing at my home. My kids don't love the classes, but prefer to write with Brave Writer classes if they have to do writing. :closedeyes:

My dyslexic, dysgraphic son is finishing up the MLA Research Essay class right now through Brave Writer. The teacher has been fantastic at everything from being available for all the nit-picky questions, big and little. She's helped my son lots as well as helped me be the intermediary in helping him.

Brave Writer has unlocked the creative side of my daughter's writing and now she's spending lots of time "doodling with words".

The classes have taken my kids from "behind" in writing to better than their peers. In addition, their writing is unmistakably theirs. I'm impressed with the teacher feedback to each student no matter what level of writing the student is doing.

• Like 2

I remember your reviews for Home2teach Sue :). I delayed having my kids take Home2Teach classes becuase I respect you so much! I currently have young kids/dyslexics in the early classes,and the small amount of critque, lots of encouragement is what they need. Elieen even emailed me when I registered my 13 year old to find out if I really wanted her in that class as it was usually for younger children.

The paragraph class was tough, with lots of feedback. My daughter in CC(16) just got a perfect score on her history essay and credits her writing ability and confidence to Home2teach. I get you though, since I have a 13 year old in one of the early classes, and it is not much of a challenge. I like the idea of getting her in the habit of small daily revisions that ramp up. I loved the paragraph class.

Now if Brave writer would offer a live class....

Editing a few months later in case it helps. The lower level home2teach classes do not give much if any feedback. Helpful for deadlines, perhaps. The Paragraph class was quite different. I would not start a high school student in a lower class.

Edited by Silver Brook
  • Like 1