Menu

Help me find this Bible curriculum? (covenantal overview?)

dauphin

Here's what I think I want:

CAP's God's Great Covenant but for older students, with more independence. I really like the presentation of an overview that provides the overarching covenantal theme as the context for all future readings/learning. 

But even in 5th grade, DD could do GGC#1 pretty much independently; but it's not meant to be used that way (?) and it often got left out when DD had to wait on me to progress and then it got forgotten about, and it just never got finished. And now DD is in 7th grade. 

We got BSGFAA because it is multi-age friendly but then I decided to put 2nd grade DD back in Montessori school. I like some of its thematic elements but it is also a bit young for 7th grade DD  (using the Advanced level because both girls were fairly kinesthetic and listen better with something to do with their hands; the Unit Study Guide did not seem like the right choice for our family)

R&S's 5th-7th grade Bible series was appealing as far as the level of in-text teaching and independence....but looked a bit dry perhaps (CAP does a good job with being...er...not-dry) and not from a covenantal perspective, so much?

Recently we have been trying to do a One Year Bible Reading Plan which has been good because it is structured for us, already waiting for us each day (have an online access with just the day's readings posted along with a devotional)...but I find myself wishing I had provided DD the kind of overview we would have gotten with CAP's GGC, to have a context to put these readings in. It also feels pretty dry.

EDIT: We LOVED the presentation style and overview/context provided by VP's Omnibus Self-Paced. But that would be completely overkill since we are already doing a local great books course. Plus expensive.

As you can tell, we're sort of new to doing Bible study as a family/part of HS'ing. 

Thoughts?

I haven't used it, but I have heard of some using Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study by Starr Meade.

Oooh! I didn't know about this. We loved her book Teaching Minds, Training Hearts and my husband is going through her book on the Heidelberg Catechism now with the kids.

We love using Victor's Journey Through the Bible, Concordia self-study Bible, and an Atlas during Bible times.

Perfect amount to read, it's divided into small lessons, and we are both learning and gaining new insights.

Most kids 10 or up could easily do this on their own. If I had my Dd do this on her own I would require her to write a summary, or a verse which stood out, or a picture, or a narration.

R&S is dry. We tried to like it, but it made Bible such a chore.

We've used Victor Journey Through the Bible in a WTM-history sort of method. It has cultural and historical context for passages in an encyclopedia type format. You could spread a section across a week and go deep, or do 2-3 sections a week to move faster.

You might look at Bible Road Trip too. This is straight Bible with notebooking pages, some extra book and DVD recommendations, activities, and such to choose from. No devotionals.

R&S She saw some interesting things in the sample, but looking over a whole book (I bought it already before I decided to bring 2nd grader home) and their scope & sequence, I am highly suspicious of it being too dry.

I think that what she liked about R&S would be done SO much better in Victor Journey Through The Bible. I might have liked a little more of a curriculum plan to go with it but I like the other poster's suggestion of having her notebook, or write a summary or draw something, or similar.

Bible Road Trip is more parent-intensive, I am suspecting, although there is a lot going for it!

My favorites so far have been...

Sword Studies - 1 John was my favorite, but all are awesome.

Inductive for kids - better than most. Less fluffy than most.

Both look appealing but less of an overview than I was hoping for. The covers of the Inductive studies books (it's hard to find a sample?) suggest they are written at a younger age level...but are you using it with the kids in your signature now? 

The sword studies are wonderful! They are available for different age levels. When my kids use them I study the same material with the High School level. There is also a logic stage and mid elem. level. They are not however an overview of the Bible. They are an in depth study of a book with Greek and Hebrew word studies and lots of cross references.

• Like 1

I haven't used it, but I have heard of some using Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study by Starr Meade.

Oooh! I didn't know about this. We loved her book Teaching Minds, Training Hearts and my husband is going through her book on the Heidelberg Catechism now with the kids.

This definitely has my attention! I like the workbook format of the Most Important Thing (plus the title speaks volumes!), but hello! WSC (Is that Teaching Minds?) and Heidelberg. I like how reviews say she is great at presenting conceptually complex ideas at a level kids can relate to.

You could look into this: https://story.biblemesh.com

A reformed church I went to used it for the teenage young men's group.

I like a LOT about this, and could see this as being something -I- could benefit from but I"m not sure she has the maturity to have so many choices/freedoms (particularly online!) and I'm not sure I want the full workload for her (but if we don't follow as is, how much prep/planning time is it going to take). It might be the closest we can come to VP's Self-Paced Omnibus....

We love Foundations for our bible time.

Yep, I was sorely tempted by this, everything all laid out and planned out. But right now I am wanting less teacher intensive and when I see: drills, memory verse, "discuss," and activities, I think "I'm going to be right there almost the whole time, aren't I?" And eventually I think I will be ready to, I think that the discussion will be important. But I need a little space right now, and I need something that gets done. Consistently. Independently.

The sword studies are wonderful! They are available for different age levels. When my kids use them I study the same material with the High School level. There is also a logic stage and mid elem. level. They are not however an overview of the Bible. They are an in depth study of a book with Greek and Hebrew word studies and lots of cross references.

Ooh that sounds SUPER cool. On my list, just not for right now.

Bible Road Trip doesn't have to be parent intensive. A savvy fifth grader could surely just use the planning page herself to see what came next.

When we used Victor Journey I usually did one spread a week. The extra boxes offer a variety of fodder for extra assignments, such as tracing a map, looking up a lady of verses, copying the names of God, and such. The WTM 5th grade list of facts writing assignment could work here, as well as writing summaries. Think of it as the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia for Bible.

On a second look (and focusing on Dialectic and not Grammar), that's a possibility. I saw all the questions and figured that DD would prefer answering them orally. Hence the impression of teacher-intensive. I suppose I could have her write/type them instead? It also is rich with options/activities for each week. I worry that it might be overwhelming for DD at first (particularly if the list of assigned activities is significantly edited...).

But I'm really hoping to get my hands on a Victory Journey book. It's not a curriculum, but it IS a plan, isn't it....

Yep, I was sorely tempted by this, everything all laid out and planned out. But right now I am wanting less teacher intensive and when I see: drills, memory verse, "discuss," and activities, I think "I'm going to be right there almost the whole time, aren't I?" And eventually I think I will be ready to, I think that the discussion will be important. But I need a little space right now, and I need something that gets done. Consistently. Independently.

I don't do the actvities. We don't do the memory work, because we've already got a plan for that. Basically we just read (and soon they'll start reading the selection independently) and narrate and do the sheet. We have done the Bible Drill, which took 4-5 min a day, but now that they know all the bible books by heart we stopped doing them.

I'm wrestling with this, clearly. When you say "do the sheet," what exactly does that mean? Do you just hand them page 2 and they write the answers on their own paper? Again, this is based on the samples, but it seems like a lot of them lend themselves more towards doing them orally: describe, discuss, compare these two passages, how does this apply to us today. Bible Drill seems like it would be more fun with other kids to complete against (younger two are in school). Do they do a narration daily? Do you have them do it orally or written? I see map work...and no maps included, just a link to general map resource websites, so there's more prep work for each day/week.

Or do you mean the coloring pages from Calvary? (I just noticed your oldest is 7-8)....