Menu

AAR1 Fluency Sheets and Lessons

umsami

We switched to AAR after getting to lesson 44 in 100EZ.  We started back at lesson 1.  How quickly do people typically go through the lessons? We were doing one/day, but I've slowed it down since we're now encountering fluency sheets.  My son cannot read all of the words without sounding some of them out.... so I'm staying put.  Am I supposed to do that?  Or just encourage him and move on?

In the beginning, we took more than one day per most lessons.  I never made my kids do the full fluency sheets in one sitting until probably the end of AAR2 or beginning of AAR3.  I often skipped the single words, too.  Or picked just a few.  Often they are repeated in the sentences and the flash cards.  I would keep going if after two days or so, my kid is reading the word even if it takes time to sound it out.  If they have the sound we're working on, I keep going.  Once they've built up stamina for reading, it goes much quicker.  I recall it being painfully slow for awhile.  But it has worked well for us (we're about 1/3 through AAR 3).

• Like 1

We never do the fluency sheets all in one day, ever. We do a single side of a page, or often just part of a page, a day. So a lesson with fluency sheets might take us 3-4 days. But then the next lesson might be to just read one story in the reader, so that takes one day. So it all balances out I guess. And my daughter sounds out EVERY word almost. We keep moving ahead. I think that's okay. 

• Like 2

Sounding them out is normal.  We do 3 days for fluency sheets, will finish AAR1 this week (to get an idea of how far we are in it).  Don't skip them.   At the end of level 1, some of the lessons involve reading 2 stories in the readers, which I break up into 2 days.  I felt like we needed a little extra reading practice, so I bought an American Language Series reader and she reads a couple pages out of it a day.  I have her read aloud to me before I do read alouds for her.

• Like 1

We never do the fluency sheets all in one day, ever. We do a single side of a page, or often just part of a page, a day. So a lesson with fluency sheets might take us 3-4 days. But then the next lesson might be to just read one story in the reader, so that takes one day. So it all balances out I guess. And my daughter sounds out EVERY word almost. We keep moving ahead. I think that's okay. 

:thumbup1:

This was our exact experience. The fluency sheets take some time in level 1, usually 2 days for us. My daughter had to sound out EVERY word for quite some time. We kept moving on. When working the sentences, I would have her do a cold reading and then a hot reading as All About Learning recommends. It also helps to mix it up by using the words in a game. We used the Ziggy file folder games quite a bit to get through words on fluency sheets and also review word cards.

The fluency sheets get shorter and easier as you move through the levels. My daughter is in level 4 now and will easily read a fluency as part of a lesson.

• 2 weeks later...