Menu

Logic of English Foundations for dd6

nknapp5

I am in a spot where I have delayed starting my 6 yr old so not to overwhelm her or me.  She knows very little!  I am looking at LoE and really want to get it. I have AAR, phonics road, and a lot of other things but wanting to really try this.  I also want to get Christian Light Publications Kindergarten II to do with her.  Is this going to be overkill?  Does anyone have any experience with either of these curriculums.  Also any suggestions what to add for math?  Thanks!

I am in a spot where I have delayed starting my 6 yr old so not to overwhelm her or me.  She knows very little!  I am looking at LoE and really want to get it. I have AAR, phonics road, and a lot of other things but wanting to really try this.  I also want to get Christian Light Publications Kindergarten II to do with her.  Is this going to be overkill?  Does anyone have any experience with either of these curriculums.  Also any suggestions what to add for math?  Thanks!

If you already have Phonics Road, then do that. Only that.

Doing CLE would be overkill. Phonics Road is all she needs for literacy skills (reading, spelling, penmanship) at her age.

LOE foundations is a very complete phonics program covering reading, spelling, and handwriting. You wouldn't need anything else. I did use the AAR readers in conjunction w/ Level A & B because they are so nice. I bought them used along w/ the whole AAR set since that was cheaper then buying just the readers new. I did use some of the AAR lessons with my 2nd DS while on summer break. I did not like it as well as LOE. (I like LOE because it is interactive, has a ton of phonemic exercises sprinkled throughout, and the discovery method it employs of learning rules). However there are a lot of people who prefer AAR and it is a very solid program. Since you already have it, maybe you should give it a shot. I definitely think that doing both programs simultaneously is overkill (with exception to the readers).

The same goes for Phonics Road. I was going to use that before Foundations came out. It was too mature for my then 4.5 yo. When Foundations came out it was perfect. It really has the same information but is geared younger with color, pictures, & games. My 1st DS used A-D my 2nd ds is now in B. I do puffy heart love LOE. Phonics Road is a get it done program but very thorough. It would be possible to get the LOE games book and cards set to go with either PR or AAR to liven them up a bit without going full freight on Foundations.

I know nothing about CLP's kindergarten program. I do think anything that adds on my more learning to read/spell/ etc would be overkill but a program with good books that you read to her would be good along with exploring some science/social studies or history topics.

For math, we have really enjoyed Right Start.

HTH,

Kerry

A good question to ask yourself right now is, How long can she comfortably sit and stay focused on a lesson? It really may not be possible to get through all that with a 6yo.

If she knows the letters and their basic sounds, you can start LOE in Foundations B (which took us 30 weeks). I won't lie, it did take a while to get used to printing from the student book (I bought the PDF), looking at the instructions in the teacher book, having the right cards out, etc. But DS loved the LOE activities--we had started Phonics Pathways, but he was stalled and getting grumpy about working so hard.

I have a more detailed review of LOE Foundations B & C here.

Well if it's in the budget....however, you really don't need it based on what you already have. I would choose either PR or AAR and go with that. All of the programs you mentioned teach phonograms in a similar way. PR contains grammar and writing concepts as well so it's a thorough LA program. With AAR you will need to eventually add in grammar and spelling (probably not this year though. I wait on those things for my kids).

For math we love Right Start.

When my kids are young I try to keep it simple and focus on reading and math. Grammar and spelling are added in 1st grade and we do more history and science in 1st as well.

I have actually used all the programs you mentioned. PR is very thorough (not any games or color-just straightforward teaching). You do have to watch the videos to know how to teach a lesson and this can be tedious.

AAR was a must for my struggling reader who needed tons of review and hand holding for reading. He enjoys the little games and the readers. And once you get things cut out and set up, this program is easy to use.

LOE is a colorful program with games that are more active than AAR. For us it moved too quickly in introducing phonograms. It didn't feel quite as thorough as AAR and since my guy was struggling so much the incremental steps of AAR helped him.