Menu

The final Obernewtyn book finally to be released!

alisoncooks

Anyone else a big fan of the Obernewtyn Chronicles?

Isobelle Carmody first published Obernewtyn in 1987, and finally (after many delays), the conclusion is going to be released this November!

:party:

I am so excited!  (And I just can't hide it, LOL.)

I had a beast of a time getting my hands on The Sending (released in 2011) since the publishers did not do a US release.  (Boo!)  Looks like the same will be true for The Red Queen (the finale).  There has also been confusion with the names/number of books in the US vs. Australian releases.

I'll admit to having a :scared:  when I saw the price of the book + shipping (but thankfully that price was AUD, so it turned out to be a bit more affordable after conversion to USD).

Anyone else follow the series?  

I big-fat-puffy-heart the books, and literally know NO ONE who has ever read them.   :001_unsure:

• Like 1

I've heard of the series, Alison, but have not read them.

I'd appreciate it if you would share some other of your favorite books, so I can get a feel for whether we might have similar taste.

Regards,

Kareni

Hi Kareni,

I go through phases, but I tend to think of myself (ultimately) as a fantasy girl.  (I can occasionally read emotionally-challenging historical fiction or non-fic, but mostly I give it a wide berth.)

I like:

Jane Austen (Persuasion being a favorite), Jane Eyre, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables...all favorites.

Harry Potter

Garth Nix's Sabriel books

The Hunger Games

Robin McKinley - pretty much anything

Patricia Wrede - I especially enjoy her Frontier Magic series

Juliet Marillier - Wildwood Dancing, Shadowfell series

A few favorites that are more current:

The Lumatere Chronicles (Melina Marchetta) -- may be my all-time favorite fantasy series

the Age of Legends trilogy (Kelley Armstrong) -- recently read and very-much enjoyed

The Ascendance trilogy (Jennifer Nielsen)

The Thief Books (Megan Whalen Turner)

The Girl of Fire & Thorns (Rae Carson)

Hope that helps. :)

I stumbled across the Obernewtyn books at my local library (they had the first 6).  Sucked me in!

• Like 2

I go through phases, but I tend to think of myself (ultimately) as a fantasy girl.  (I can occasionally read emotionally-challenging historical fiction or non-fic, but mostly I give it a wide berth.)

I like:

Thanks for spelling out your favorites, Alison.  I think that my adult daughter might enjoy the series because among her favorites are:

Harry Potter

Garth Nix's Sabriel books

The Thief Books (Megan Whalen Turner)

I hadn't known of this series -- "Patricia Wrede - Frontier Magic series" -- I'd only known her Enchanted Forest Chronicles and the Cecilia books, but this looks intriguing.

I'll share a few of my daughter's recent favorites in case they're of interest to you:

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison (a pen name of Sarah Monette whose books my daughter also enjoyed)

Flesh and Fire: Book One of The Vineart War and sequels by Laura Anne Gilman

The Emperor's Edge and sequels by Lindsay Buroker -- the book I've linked is free to Kindle readers.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Yeah, the first 6 books were widely released here. The most recent book (The Sending) can be purchased only as an ebook on Amazon (and they've split it into 2 books, the second half being called The Waking Dragon).

I ended up buying mine from fishpond.com.au since I prefer physical books to ebooks.