Menu

Calling Annie Sloan fans. Need help with color for a garden bench.

idnib

Yes, another Annie Sloan thread.  :)

I'm thinking about repaint a bench for our (someday) garden using Annie Sloan chalk paint. 

The bench is one of those ones with the cast iron sides and the slats of wood, like this one but not the same cast iron pattern.

After researching I'm not going to wax the paint because it's outdoors in the sun and that can re-melt the wax. It will eventually get worn here and there and I can either repaint it or if I like the worn look, leave it. Another option is some kind of petroleum-based coating to protect it.

Right now I'm thinking about leaving the cast iron black, although my research showed that could be painted with chalk paint as well.

I want a brighter color for the wood so I'm avoiding grays and browns because they are too close to the natural color and I'm avoiding greens because I want the bench to stand out against foliage. I was thinking about Arles and found this example of a console with a graphite top, which is the closest I can find to Arles next to a blackish color.

Any other ideas of what would stand out in a garden and also go with black cast iron?

I was considering the possibility of layering two colors so that as the paint wears off the other color begins to show through as well, but that seemed like the next thing to think about after picking the main one. But I would love suggestions here too.

Here's a link to the current palette.

I like red benches so I would say Emporers Silk.   My front bench is a color close to burgandy and I love it, but if I wanted it in a garden I would like a bit brighter red for a bit of a color pop.

Old Violet would leave a worn denim feel and would look great with black.

For some fun contrast the Arles over the Antibes Green would be cute  in a garden. In fact, I think just about any color would be cute over green in the garden.  LOL  As long as you can keep the color from showing through when you don't want it do.  (ie don't want a green tint to your all over yellow)

• Like 3

I like red benches too but was worried whether it would be too much with the black cast iron, compared to a 100% wooden bench. If you were doing a bench in Emperor's Silk, would you leave the cast iron black or paint everything red?

I also considered red under the yellow so as it wore it might look like this. But the bench will be exposed to the elements so I can't really control how it wears and I didn't want something that looks like mustard and ketchup. 

I will definitely take another look at Antibes Green and also Old Violet. Great ideas!

• Like 1

I like red benches too but was worried whether it would be too much with the black cast iron, compared to a 100% wooden bench. If you were doing a bench in Emperor's Silk, would you leave the cast iron black or paint everything red?

I also considered red under the yellow so as it wore it might look like this. But the bench will be exposed to the elements so I can't really control how it wears and I didn't want something that looks like mustard and ketchup. 

I will definitely take another look at Antibes Green and also Old Violet. Great ideas!

My kitchen was yellow and red....and yes, it did give off mustard and ketchup vibes, but it was on purpose and the colors were chosen for that reason.  LOL

I would do black and red, or very dark grey/red, but it would work in my garden because our fence has aged naturally and it is grey.  In my yard, he grey fence, black/red bench, and plants would work together nicely.  We have green grass, and tumbled bark mulch (the chunks instead of shreds).  

I would look at what your back drop colors are to make that decision. If you have a white fence, white rock or white house, I wouldn't go with black personally.  I would tone it down and do it in grey or paint the whole think in a burgundy.  I would want the bench to be a fun detail and not a focus point.  To much contrast on the surroundings will make it a focal piece. 

• Like 1

My kitchen was yellow and red....and yes, it did give off mustard and ketchup vibes, but it was on purpose and the colors were chosen for that reason.  LOL

I would do black and red, or very dark grey/red, but it would work in my garden because our fence has aged naturally and it is grey.  In my yard, he grey fence, black/red bench, and plants would work together nicely.  We have green grass, and tumbled bark mulch (the chunks instead of shreds).  

I would look at what your back drop colors are to make that decision. If you have a white fence, white rock or white house, I wouldn't go with black personally.  I would tone it down and do it in grey or paint the whole think in a burgundy.  I would want the bench to be a fun detail and not a focus point.  To much contrast on the surroundings will make it a focal piece. 

Thanks. The backdrop will be a naturally brown wood fence that's weathered, CA native plants, and some raised bed planters with veggies. The house is currently tan and brown, but we're repainting next year and haven't thought much about colors. I see what you mean about fun detail (which is what I want) vs. focal point. The Primer Red seems to be toned down compared to the Emperor. 

As an aside, and maybe not relevant to you, but you can make your own chalk paint REALLY easily. It opens up a huge amount of paint colors and shades at a significantly smaller price tag. ;)

I think I would feel more confident if I were better with colors. I'm more willing if I'm leaving the cast iron black and just picking one color for the wood, vs. making a color for the wood and a contrasting color for the metal.

I'll look into it again!

• Like 1

Aubusson blue and Antibes green make a beautiful turquoise.

I do love the red idea, but I would tend toward something less dramatic, personally.

Will you use a finish? I prefer a finish on ASCP, though you're right - don't use wax outside. If you google, you can see lots of other options. Sorry, you might have already said, I haven't had enough coffee yet.

I love ASCP. :)

• Like 1

Seconding the idea of making your own chalk paint. It is so easy and you can fine-tune your color with bits of acrylic paint. As for the wax, a nice quality car paste wax works well for the clear wax and wax shoe polish works great for the dark wax.

Thanks. I'll look into it.  :)

Aubusson blue and Antibes green make a beautiful turquoise.

I do love the red idea, but I would tend toward something less dramatic, personally.

Will you use a finish? I prefer a finish on ASCP, though you're right - don't use wax outside. If you google, you can see lots of other options. Sorry, you might have already said, I haven't had enough coffee yet.

I love ASCP. :)

Hmm. Turquoise could be really beautiful. The right turquoise. I think lighter would look better with black than darker.

I haven't decided weather to finish it or not. Part of me likes the idea of letting it wear and blend into the garden as if it's been there a long time, part of me wants to protect it. It's a fairly old bench already but the previous tenants didn't want it and left it behind when they moved so I don't know how old. I read so many non-wax options for finishing I'm a bit overwhelmed. Do you have something you recommend?

Oh! We have an Arles chair with a black finish underneath, and it looks great. Love it. I think that would be beautiful with your black iron.

Thanks for confirming black and Arles together!

• Like 1

I've only used wax as a finish, but I have seen some beautiful polyurethane finished products. You could distress it just the way you want. It would still wear, just slowly.

I haven't been thrilled with unfinished chalk paint. But that's a personal preference. :)

• Like 1