Menu

Khan Acacemy

Cut and pasted from another thread:

With dd, I started her at the grade level that I that I felt fit her.  When she starts a new grade level I require her to do the Mission Foundations before branching out into any other skills.  And I require her to do those in order because they often build on each other.  You can find the Mission Foundations by clicking "Show all Skills".  They are the first line of the Skill Breakdown.  How we do it is to then try the skill.  If she misses a couple of problems in a row, then I will suggest that she watch a video or click to show all the hints to see how they attacked the problem.  I am sitting next to her and am able to jump in and show her physically how to do things as well.  Dd does not like the videos very much so we put those off until we've tried all other ways of learning the material.  You may want to approach this differently but this way fits my dd's learning approach the best.  Once you've started learning a skill, a Mastery Challenge will be generated (a review/test of the material).  We like to start each session by doing the mastery challenges and then we attack the Mission Foundations.  My goal is two of those skill squares a day but I have a general sense of how much time I want to spend on math and also my dd's frustration level and will make decisions each day based on that.  

Once she's mastered all the Mission Foundations, then each day I ask her to do the Mastery Challenges and then two other skills of her choice.  In dd's case she does all the easier skills until all she has left are things like fractions and then we do those at the end of the grade level.     ;)

• Like 2

My girls are using Khan as a supplement, they work for a set length of time on khan each day they use it, I set a timer and they work until the timer goes off. I started them on a "mission" one grade level below their current math level in their text books as review and to learn how to use the site and the way khan likes the answers to be done, some of the graphing questions etc are quite a bit different in presentation to what they have been used to. I do not play with the way the mission progresses, when they load up their account they do any available mastery challenge and then they continue to next task automatically assigned to them. They just continue with the next task as determined by the mission until their time is up for the day. They progressed very quickly through the first mission I assigned them and once they were done with that mission they started on the mission equivalent to the grade level on their text books.

• Like 1

My kids have used Khan as their primary for the last couple years, but we supplement with CLE and LoF and whatever else when I feel like it's not enough.

Basically, I tell them to do 30-40 minutes per day, based on their grade. Then I keep track of their progress. As long as they're progressing roughly 3% per week, they're on track to finish the grade level by the end of the year. If they fall below that we either try something else for a while or I have them do extra (sometimes the 40 minutes gets eaten up watching videos that they've already seen or staring into space). 

I have a good idea of how it's going because I usually am called in to help at least once per day. 

• Like 1