Menu

Can you find snails outside in the fall?

That's what we're supposed to be looking for in nature study. I have seen their little trails in the spring, but haven't seen any around lately. Presumably since this is what the pre-planned curriculum tells me to do, snails should be around at this time of year. Yes?

Sigh. I am SO trying to avoid my reality today. Back to school before the natives get too restless.

Lots of snails and slugs here. I felt like I was running an obstacle course trying to avoid stepping on them when I was out for my jog this morning. But, yes, they do come out in the rain, and if you're anywhere near my parents in North Carolina where they're having severe drought, they may not be very easy to find. Are you on water restriction? Can you possibly set a sprinkler on one area of your garden for a few hours to trick them into coming out? I have no idea if this would work or not, but it may be worth a try if you're not going to break any laws. :) Good luck.

There were plenty on my patio over the weekend, with the remnants of Ike passing overhead. We even had one crawling down the windows of our backdoor, so I took the opportunity to show our 5yo the underside of the snail.

He thought it was very cool.

Good luck finding your snails.

When I read the thread title, I thought you were asking about snails-for-eating, not snails-for-nature-study. :blush5:

I was going to say "try your nearest French restaurant", but, um, well...it wasn't necessary or appropriate. ;)