Menu

I lurve Freecycle!

Reya

Oh, yes, I do! I've decided that we're going to host a once-a-month family game night, so I want tons of board games. I've got a ginormous chest FULL of games now, all of which I got for free. I've also gotten more than 125 items of clothes of various sizes for the kids and 9 pairs of shoes--in just two pick ups. And I donate anything worn out or stained, too--this is what I like AND what's in good condition.

It's also a great place to get rid of stuff that's hard to donate! When my washing machine died and I was left with 3/4ths of a container of non-HE detergent after buying a new HE machine, I Freecycled it that day. I had 9 freezer gel paks from shipments I'd gotten that I didn't want, and I got rid of those right away, too. Pretty much, anything that I have that's useful and I can't Craigslist, eBay, or donate goes on Freecycle right away, and it's out of my house right away!

I've had really good luck with people actually picking up stuff. And I got really good packing boxes when we moved.

But we've had a few duds; a kids "cubby house" that was basically a pile of rotten timber that went straight to the dump and a set of Christmas lights where half of them doesn't go. Why do people not be honest when they advertise stuff!! It makes me mad when people use it to get rid of things that they should be paying to dump themselves.

Yep, I love Freecycle too and I love looking on Craigslist, I sold a bunkbed set with the free listing there recently. I found a piece of furniture for dd's room also. But I've gotten bookshelves off of Freecycle, gotten rid of lighting fixtures, mattresses, paint and some odds & ends.

Phlox

Pennysaver's free, too, under a certain rate. It just isn't as fast as Criagslist.

Oh, yes, I do! I've decided that we're going to host a once-a-month family game night, so I want tons of board games. I've got a ginormous chest FULL of games now, all of which I got for free. I've also gotten more than 125 items of clothes of various sizes for the kids and 9 pairs of shoes--in just two pick ups. And I donate anything worn out or stained, too--this is what I like AND what's in good condition.

It's also a great place to get rid of stuff that's hard to donate! When my washing machine died and I was left with 3/4ths of a container of non-HE detergent after buying a new HE machine, I Freecycled it that day. I had 9 freezer gel paks from shipments I'd gotten that I didn't want, and I got rid of those right away, too. Pretty much, anything that I have that's useful and I can't Craigslist, eBay, or donate goes on Freecycle right away, and it's out of my house right away!

Congrats.

We love Freecycle too - when we cleaned out our attic, it was amazing what people wanted. On the receiving end, we got a great piano - I just need to find the $$ to get it tuned and the time to refinish it.

Not Freecycle, but our local hs Yahoo! group was the source for our free Steinway. I posted a question about which music store was worth looking at for maybe [gulp] buying a piano. $$$!

I got an e-mail from a woman I knew slightly, said they had two pianos but only needed one. I would be welcome to take either. DH is the musician in the family, so he checked it out. One was a Steinway upright, about 80 years old. No, they were absolutely positive they didn't mind if we chose that one.

Oh my.

We paid professional piano movers to move it, and had it repaired and I even did some of the simple stuff myself that the man said I wouldn't be able to mess up. The exterior is painted a hideous shade of mud brown. But the sound, . . . ah, the sound. Refinishing would involve a 2nd mortgage, I'm sure. But for now, we love it.