Menu

art + math = ?

My DD is not a math kid, but she is an "art and sociology or anthropology" kid, so someone who wants art and something else.

1. Art schools will only have art, so she looked at liberal arts schools and medium sized state schools.

2. Some liberal arts schools and one of our state schools offer both a BA and a BFA option for art majors. Because you still have the liberal arts distribution requirements, the BFAs typically take 5 years to complete in a liberal arts setting versus an art school. I never found a list of liberal arts schools offering BFAs, it was just something I saw on individual school websites.

3. For liberal arts schools that only offer a BA in art, they do have advisors who can help kids who eventually want to go on to an MFA. You do not necessarily need a BFA to apply to an MFA program, if that remains her path.

HTH

• Like 1

There's actually a lot of math involved in computer generated art. It may be something she's interested in. Architecture also might be a possibility. 

In the long term, I know many people who are a professional x and a very talented amateur artist as well. It's challenging to make a living doing that but it's something that works very well added on to a day job. 

• Like 3

Your daughter might want to look at schools that offer integrated programs that combine art/math/science/business. Carnegie Mellon offers an integrated program at the graduate level but I'm not sure about undergraduate. Someone at College Confidential might be able to help you find that.

For summer something like this program might interest your daughter. Cooper Union has a superb art school, btw. (And engineering and architecture). I don't know if they integrate, though.

http://www.cooper.edu/academics/outreach-and-pre-college/summer-art-intensive

• Like 1

We talked a lot in my family during the teen years about doing the art you want to do (with a day job) vs. doing the art someone else pays you to do (in an art job).  Each kid has chosen a different way to balance this; it was a very useful way to frame the choices.

(And like a PP, we are finding that, as a general rule, the "best" art and design schools frequently do not have non-art/design majors, making the choices harder.)

• Like 2

(And like a PP, we are finding that, as a general rule, the "best" art and design schools frequently do not have non-art/design majors, making the choices harder.)

Really does depend on your definition of "best."

Western Washington has a highly competitive BFA in Design, for example, with a fabulous record of placing kids into Seattle and San Francisco based jobs. The competition is fierce - BA students apply for admission in junior year and only 10 are chosen for BFA. (Students who don't get in to the BFA track can graduate with the BA in design or transfer to a school with a BFA program.) So, not enough national reputation or alumni base to make a rankings book, but still a great, competitive education.

http://www.wwubfadesign.com/

The research tools for art are not great, though. You have to dig to find the gems.

Eta, CMU also has a summer program

CMU's summer program would be worth checking out. Their Integrated Innovation Institute has an excellent integrated art/science/business graduate program. My daughter's graduate degree is in this area, btw, and CMU was one of the schools she applied to. (MIT and Stanford have similar grad school programs.) Her undergraduate degree is in EE but she was always interested in art as well. She now works for a start up company. Anyway, more CMU info here:

http://www.cmu.edu/integrated-innovation/degrees/index.html

http://www.cmu.edu/integrated-innovation/careers/index.html

From what I understand, undergrads who apply to these kinds of integrated programs often have STEM degrees but are also strong in art. My daughter had to submit a portfolio of her work and ideas. Interestingly, more engineering undergrad programs are trying to get students to combine engineering with other areas as well. For example, as an undergrad my daughter worked on an engineering/art project that was eventually part of a fashion show.

Cooper Union's summer program would probably be less STEM oriented. My husband went there for engineering and way back then the art, architecture and engineering students didn't intermingle much academically. That might have changed, though. If she's ever out there, your daughter might like visiting the art students' studios. Lots of interesting work going on.

• Like 1

When we went to visit Cornell last year, the presenter mentioned being able to craft a custom major. If the student has a very strong idea of what she wants to do, she can sit with an adviser and create a customized major. One example he gave was a student who wanted to work for Disney as an imagineer. They were able to put together classes that would be useful for her in her future job, which is where that student works now.

So it might be worth asking colleges if that is a possibility even if they don't publicly say they have an integrated program.

DD did the summer program at CMU recently so if you have questions, I can ask dd.

• Like 1

I can't help with the actual question, but my dd#2 is the artistic one who can draw & paint all day. She abhors math. It causes her much chagrin when her art teacher has her do math as part of her paintings. Recently, it was math for some stairs that were in perspective + a cat that had to be the right height vs. the stairs & a pumpkin.

Previously, she's had some geometrical math dealing with facial proportions. There is definitely math in art!

I'll eventually be looking at a program which would help dd#2 with her goal of being an paid author/illustrator. I'm still not quite convinced that she needs to major in either art or some sort of writing, however. :lurk5:  (DD's art teacher has talked repeatedly about not spending $$$$ on an art school.)

• Like 1

Visualization engineering and data modeling.

My oldest is a computer science engineering and studio art double major. Her advisor jokes with her that with a background in CS and art, nobody will ever be able to replace her with a robot. She's done visualization and data modeling, texturing, CGI and virtual reality stuff. It's really, really cool! She had a full-time paid CS internship this past summer. She has two job offers for next summer. It's a pretty lucrative field right now.

• Like 3

That sounds very cool, SkateLeft! This is good news. It sure seems intuitive to me that there might be demand for a person with both skills/talents if they're of the right type but I don't have a feel for specifics.

About colleges - my sense regarding CS is that the school may matter less than for other subjects or at least the list of "good" programs is very different from non-STEM majors except of course for schools that are tops in everything. For a double major in CS and studio art, how does one pick the school, for the CS program or for the art program? Or does one hope they can get into a selective school that is known for both?

Eta, CMU's integrated program looks very cool but admission to both schools is daunting. If there are other integrated programs out there I'd love to hear about them.

My daughter primarily focused on engineering schools when she was applying to colleges. This year, she transferred to a different university with better facilities for visualization engineering, which is a growing field due to the surge in "big data." For her, the quality of the studio art department is secondary to the quality of the CS department. Art is something that she's always done on her own, but not something that she ever considered turning into a career. Then last year, she applied for this internship and was hired on the basis of having both a strong coding portfolio and a strong art portfolio. She realized that combining her love of engineering with her love of art was doable.

• Like 1