Menu

I need math supplement ideas for an 8th grader

mamakelly

My 8th grader has math "issues". I don't really know what else to call it. She hates math. She has little number sense for her age, it took her 5 years to master multiplication facts. I've had her tested with our charter school, they say she's "not that far behind". I suspect some sort of dyscalculia. My mom does math with her, she and I just butt heads. She's doing Teaching Textbooks Pre-algebra. I've tried multiple curriculums during her 9 years of school, and TT is the least painful for all of us. I currently have her woking on The Key to Series as extra practice. I need some other suggestions for what else might be good to supplement her math skills.

We sometimes add in Khan academy videos when she needs a different perspective.  My DD also struggles with math, and I try to have her do some every day (year round).  That's been a big help for her.  We use MUS and it's been the best choice for her.