Menu

A Beka Science

IfIOnly

I've seen this curriculum in person and think it would be a great fit here.  I'm tired, done, so over doing science with multiple ages. The pictures in A Beka are wonderful and the text seems engaging and the experiments look meaningful and fun. The price is right. (ETA: It's something they can do mostly independently as they get older.) Can I get your reviews?

ETA: I like that it's spiral too. I'm also over learning about the same thing for a year. 

https://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/ProductSearch.aspx?grade=&subject=SCIE&title=&sbn=&ods=

I switched my middle 2 to Abeka two years ago for the same reason--and that they were just not into science. it was my best decision ever. Seriously. They started talking about what they were learning and science gets done. Yes, it can be done independently. We do discuss the lesson questions orally but the could just write the answer. The can even do the experiments independently--although I sm willing to do it with them if they have a good attitude.

• Like 2

Maybe this thread is what I need.  My kids get excited about the appearance of Abeka science, but I always shy away from it for some reason.  Yet, I don't have any other science program I like.  I'd love to hear ideas about how others use it.

• Like 1

Well, I'm probably going to order A Beka science for the 2-6 graders (I think this is going to be a great fit for us!) but am not sold on the secondary materials. I've read some eye raising reviews about wonky (faulty logic, misleading info, scare tactics) stuff in the upper grades materials. So, I need to most likely find something for my 7th grader. I can't find anything I love, so I'll probably settle with Apologia. 

Okay, so after more research, I'm gong to order A Beka's 7th grade curriculum too. We'll just discuss anything wonky and use it as a learning experience. Overall, it really does look good though.

I just can't go back to Apologia. Ugh. It's too wordy! I think having a more concise text like A Beka will help with the kids being as independent as possible with science too.

• Like 2

We like Abeka science for many of the reasons you mentioned. My 5th grader started the year with an Apologia book and begged to go back to Abeka science. I've never had any science complaints in years we've used it. It gets done and leaves time for use to do fun things with our field guides etc without pressure.

My oldest is using Apologia General for 7th grade. He says he likes it, but I will definitely give my up and coming kids the choice between Apologia or Abeka for the higher grades.

• Like 2

We like Abeka science for many of the reasons you mentioned. My 5th grader started the year with an Apologia book and begged to go back to Abeka science. I've never had any science complaints in years we've used it. It gets done and leaves time for use to do fun things with our field guides etc without pressure.

My oldest is using Apologia General for 7th grade. He says he likes it, but I will definitely give my up and coming kids the choice between Apologia or Abeka for the higher grades.

Do you use it as written?  

• Like 2

Do you use it as written?  

The Abeka?

Ahem. . .well sort of.Not really. I use ONLY the books. We do one section a day. If there's an easy experiment, we do it. Younger kids simply answer questions outloud and perhaps trace or draw diagrams, maybe write the characteristics of an amphibian for the section or something like that. Again, ONE section a day. As in just read to the next set of questions and come find mommy.

My 10 year old is in the 5th grade book (older son has been through that as well) and she reads ONE section (stop at the questions), takes simple notes/draws any simple diagrams, comes and find mommy to answer the questions at the end of the section. She does write the answer the questions on paper by CHOICE before going over them with me. Then if there's an experiment we may do it in the afternoon. We don't do the tests or quizzes, but do the chapter reviews split into two days.  These courses seemed to be designed for 3 quarters, so I feel like we can cover a lot of ground without pressure to slug through it.

Hope this helps!

Older ds uses Apologia Gen with the materials from Donna Young that were free this summer when I was planning. . 

• Like 2

The Abeka?

Ahem. . .well sort of.Not really. I use ONLY the books. We do one section a day. If there's an easy experiment, we do it. Younger kids simply answer questions outloud and perhaps trace or draw diagrams, maybe write the characteristics of an amphibian for the section or something like that. Again, ONE section a day. As in just read to the next set of questions and come find mommy.

My 10 year old is in the 5th grade book (older son has been through that as well) and she reads ONE section (stop at the questions), takes simple notes/draws any simple diagrams, comes and find mommy to answer the questions at the end of the section. She does write the answer the questions on paper by CHOICE before going over them with me. Then if there's an experiment we may do it in the afternoon. We don't do the tests or quizzes, but do the chapter reviews split into two days.  These courses seemed to be designed for 3 quarters, so I feel like we can cover a lot of ground without pressure to slug through it.

Hope this helps!

Older ds uses Apologia Gen with the materials from Donna Young that were free this summer when I was planning. .

This is exactly how we use ABeka science, too, except my 5th grader isn't taking notes yet--but will later in the year.
  • Like 2

The Abeka?

Hope this helps!

Sorry.  yes, I meant Abeka.  

That was helpful.  I want to just use the books.  I don't want to use it as written.  I like your way. :)  I own a few levels and can find others very cheaply used.  My kids love the color and appreciate the conciseness.  I just need something better for grades 6-8 than what we do now.  

• Like 1