Menu

Which version of Joan of Arc is better?

Kfamily

Hi!

We are catholic (although doing a poor job of it right now, forgive us-that is another story) and I was curious which version of Joan of Arc would be our best choice? I was not raised a catholic so I never know which books are written from an anti-catholic slant(and that may not even apply to any of these choices) so I could use a little guidance.

Ambleside uses Joan of Arc by Twain

Adoremus uses Joan Girl Soldier

Yesterday's Classics recommends Jeanne d'Arc by Wilmot-Buxton

Which one is the best version?

Thanks for your help!:001_smile:

Are there any books from Ambleside I should know about or are they all okay?

I am reading the Twain one in preparation for next year when my kids do Ambleside year 7, and I think it is very good, interesting, but a meaty read. My kids will be 13 and 14/15 when they get to it.

Apparently Twain, who spent several years researching for the book, felt it was his best work. He was passionate about writing it.

I don't know about the others though, so i can't compare.

That's exactly what I was planning to do. I think that will be the version I go with. So much reading (and self-educating) to do and so little time.:D

Thank you so much! We are really enjoying the books from Ambleside. I can't believe how many I didn't even know about that we have loved.

P.S. I tried to rep you but I must spread it around. I also just realized that my rep is not really rep since I don't have enough rep myself. How's that for a silly sentence!:lol:

Thanks, Michele!

We've read the D. Stanley version but I am actually looking at books for the next few years (7th-9th). I buy them when I see them at a good price and I also plan on reading it ahead of dd.

Beyond the Myth by Polly Schoyer Brooks might be what you're looking for.