Menu

Has anyone here used MP 1st grade Enrichment?

nature girl

I tried searching, but can't find any discussion here, almost all discussions are on the K Enrichment (which it seems most people love.) Can anyone give me feedback? Would it be a good program for an early (but pretty bright) 6yo?

I'm not interested in the whole curriculum, I'm reasonably happy with how the rest of school is going, but I'd love to expand from the core studies we've been doing to a more holistic education. On the other hand my DD has a very limited attention span and doesn't like sitting still for long, and I don't want to use up her limited focus on enrichment if she's not going to enjoy it or get much from it. I know it's primarily literature and poetry study, which is good, she loves stories, but on the other hand we've already read 90% of the stories listed more than once (they're mostly classics most kids have read, unlike for K Enrichment) so I do wonder if it's worth revisiting them. And what I saw in the sample didn't grab me in the way K Enrichment did.

We have only used 2nd grade enrichment.  I liked it especially for the art and music.  We had a lot of fun with it, adding to the social studies and science topics with lots of extra reading and fun activities.  We had already read several of the books (but not nearly 90%), but that still worked okay.  Actually, I was glad when we came to a title we already owned and didn't have to purchase or borrow.

I think the enrichments are great are because you can absolutely make them what you want them to be.  If all you do is read the book, read the poem, look at the art and listen to the music, you are already set and can feel great about what you've done that week.  On the other hand, if you are the type that loves to tweak, add, and go deeper, the suggested topics provide the perfect springboard for you.

Now, if you are antsy to begin a more systematic, in-depth study of history and science in 1st grade, this isn't going to fit the bill.  

• Like 1

we haven't used first grade enrichment-- plan to next year, but if you like the look of K Enrichment and have read less of those books why not use it? It's literature, art, crafts, music, poetry, with a dash of science and social studies. Each is light-- one day for each mostly but we love it. My dd is an older 5 and loves it.

• Like 1

We are currently using the first grade enrichment. We used the k last year. We really like it. For the picture book, there are comprehension questions, vocabulary, picture review(illustrations) questions. These really allow for an in depth review of the book, and I couldn't come up with this on my own. Art and music is listed each week. MP sells the art cards, and there is a list on spotify for the music. History, culture and science is covered with the supplemental science and social studies books.

There are a lot of wonderful and friendly people at the MP forum if you wanted to ask there.

I agree with ByGrace3; you could use any year of the enrichment you wanted. You can make it as light or deep as you want. I am learning many things as well.;)

• Like 1

Do you all buy the whole package or just the guide?

For the enrichment, just buy the guide. The picture book read-alouds and the supplemental science and social studies books can be gotten from the library. The art cards from MP are really nice probably about a 5x7 size. The art could probably be found on th internet, but I like having the cards. It is just one less thing to do.:)

• Like 1

Thanks, that's helpful! I guess I was thinking the higher grades would go into each area at a bit of a deeper level. Most of the literature questions and vocabulary in the K sample seemed a bit basic, although my DD enjoyed them when we went through the sample, and the art and music seem to be at around the right level. (The books actually seem to be more simple in 1st? But maybe they're meant for the child to read aloud?) Looking at the 1st grade level, the lit questions seem very basic too, but the vocab might be at the right level.

I think there must be something I'm not understanding too...I see a list of Read Alouds, and assumed those are the books discussed but maybe they're just suggested reading since many are not included in the full Curriculum package?

I also was looking for 2nd grade Enrichment just to get an idea, since the books they include are some of our favorites and might be great for discussion, but I haven't been able to find a link to purchase it separately, or to view a sample. :confused:

I hope I am understanding your questions correctly. There are several books included in the core curriculum for the student to read and study. These are Little Bear, Blueberries for Sal, Caps for Sale, etc. The study guides are called Storytime Treasures and More Storytime Treasures. All of this is included in the complete first grade core curriculum. The Enrichment guide is included in the package as well or it can be purchased separately (almost all of it can be purchased separately).

The read-alouds associated with the enrichment consists of 33 (I think) picture books. One is studied each week, and is meant for you to read aloud to the student.

http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/first-grade-read-aloud-program

There is also a supplemental science and social studies book package. These are book used in the Enrichment that cover the history & culture and science portion.

http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/classical-core-curriculum-science/supplemental-science-enrichment-sets

Most of these books should be available at your local library.

Here is a link for the second grade enrichment.

http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/art-and-music-classical-core-curriculum/primary-resources

Hope this helps.:)

I am using the 1st Grade  Enrichment Guide and art cards. I bought the guide and take the books out of the library. We are currently in week 9. What is nice is that everything is in the guide. You just use what you want. For example we read The Caboose That Got Loose, it has questions, vocab words, an author bio, est. I read Bill Peets bio because it was interesting, we rarely do this. I also talked about personification, because the guide noted it. Something I would not thought to explain. 

For the music we listened to a Mozart piece. I am clueless when it come to art and music, so it is so nice to have it all there. And its short and sweet. My son was blown away that Mozart was playing piano so well at 5 he gave a concert and toured at 13. The music selection we heard today  was a choral piece and was written as a gift for a friend. Things I learned today for the first time from the guide.

We have had a lot of fun with it. So far we have made ink, had a tea party and listened to some nice music and stories. 

If you have read most of 1st grade enrichment books, I suggest getting the guide for the list of books that you like best. I know some people have multiple grade kids but do one level of the Enrichment guide for all of them and cycle through.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...