Menu

need guidance counseling (math)

Do you think if I've completed Saxon Algebra 2 I could manage this course:

MAT167 Precalculus With Analytic Geometry (4-0-4) This course includes the following topics: functions, functional composition, inverse functions, domain and range, interval notation, polynomial functions, rational functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, trigonometric, functions and graphs, analytic geometry, including parametric equations, polar coordinates and conics, systems of equations, introduction to limits and applications. PR: MAT 118 or MAT 154 or eligible to enroll in MAT 167

Here is the table of contents of Saxon Algebra 2:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product_slideshow?sku=529722&actual_sku=529722

The 118 course is titled Technical Math.  I don't want to take that.  MAT 154 is college algebra & trig. 

Thank you! 

Why would you not want to take a placement test?  It's what I always suggest with students heading into college math, esp if I haven't seen their work myself to discern if they truly know the concepts of what they are doing or not.  Some students can get good grades by memorizing math rather than understanding it.  This actually works - up to a point.  But that point is often reached at Pre-Cal (or sometimes Calc) when one has to put many concepts together and know when to use what to figure out problems.

I wonder if there's a placement test of some sort online that you can take in private...

Otherwise, if you feel very solid in your Alg 2 skills, the class should be fine, though as Kinsa said, you might have to figure out some geometry on the side too if you haven't done a Geometry class.

• Like 3

Maybe, if you're good enough at math and work hard enough to fill in any holes. Going from algebra 2 to college precalculus is unduly challenging for most people. 

I'm going to list off the biggest things that cause people to really struggle in my precalculus class if they are not rock solid (I teach this class very frequently). 

1) Fractions. You really need to be able to do fractions unthinkingly. 

2) As an extension of fractions, you need to be able to manipulate rational expressions without struggle (not necessarily unthinkingly). 

3) Multiplying polynomials and especially expanding squares. Multiplying something like (x+1)^2 and getting x^2 + 2x + 1 needs to be automatic. 

4) Factoring. You need to be able to do factoring quickly. It's ok to have to think about the more challenging ones but you should be able to whip out a factorization of x^2 - 3x + 2 or a similar quadratic immediately. 

5) Cartesian coordinates and equations of lines. Again, these need to be drilled enough to be nearly unthinking. 

6) Functions. Even though they are taught in this class, it is almost certainly a quick review. It is very common (for example) for people to try to evaluate sin (A+B) by doing sin A + sin B, because it looks like multiplication. They do the same thing with square roots and logarithms. 

7) Did I mention fractions?

Lack of geometry is not usually an issue although you should have some idea of the concept of proof when we get to trigonometric identities. The most geometry we use is usually similar triangles, vertical angles/transversals, the distance formula, and the Pythagorean theorem. 

• Like 6

I did Saxon Algebra II 24 years ago, but back then, it was NOT preparation for pre-calc. You need trigonometry. You need solid trig as you advance. I think you will do fine with most of Kinsa's requirements with Algebra II, but not (6), functions. Sin, cosine, tangent need to be instinctive before you go forward with this, IMO.

I know that students can CLEP out of College Algebra after Saxon Algebra 2, and that class would be the prerequisite for this class, right? So I would think you'd be able to go into it. The only caution would be that some of the analytic geometry might be a bit of a struggle since Saxon doesn't cover the entirety of high school geometry until halfway through the next book (Advanced Math). But I'd still give it a go, realizing the geometry would need my full attention.

I agree but it may be a tough go too. My oldest placed into calculus, but we decided to put him into pre-calculus because of a few gaps from Saxon, and he's not a pre-engineering major who needs to get going on calculus. He went through all of Saxon Advanced Math.

He has a high "A," but is finding it to be some work. There's enough that is handled differently or goes deeper that he has to spend more time than we expected. He's not worried about it, but he's not breezing through without work either.

FWIW, most of the class is failing it and is really lost. The professor is really frustrated.

I did Saxon Algebra II 24 years ago, but back then, it was NOT preparation for pre-calc. You need trigonometry. You need solid trig as you advance. I think you will do fine with most of Kinsa's requirements with Algebra II, but not (6), functions. Sin, cosine, tangent need to be instinctive before you go forward with this, IMO.

although there is quite a bit of trig in it

I agree but it may be a tough go too. My oldest placed into calculus, but we decided to put him into pre-calculus because of a few gaps from Saxon, and he's not a pre-engineering major who needs to get going on calculus. He went through all of Saxon Advanced Math.

He has a high "A," but is finding it to be some work. There's enough that is handled differently or goes deeper that he has to spend more time than we expected. He's not worried about it, but he's not breezing through without work either.

FWIW, most of the class is failing it and is really lost. The professor is really frustrated.

Yeah I am still torn.  I may just ask my current instructor what he thinks.

It is the one and only class I will take, and I have plenty of time to spend on it.  So there is that. 

Currently I'm taking stats, and it is the same deal, a large number of people are struggling.  Honestly, I think some of them either don't do the work, or can't put in the kind of time it needs. 

I mean geesh, the instructor made a comment that, "he doesn't expect we know how to round numbers".  I don't know if he was joking or what.  Basically someone in the class was asking if he'd mark off for rounding differently.  And sometimes the rounding isn't hugely important, but he doesn't expect we know how to round numbers?!  LOL  So if that is any indication of the level of things I don't want to sell myself short.  It's a community college.  No clue if that makes a difference.