Menu

Has anybody cut lessons from MOH 1?

sixpence1978

We cut out all the Bible stories. My kids have heard those for years in Sunday School and are already familiar with them all, even the more obscure prophets. There really isn't much more historical information in those lessons than is already covered in the Bible itself.

When we did the timeline work we mentioned the Bible characters that had been covered in that section and put them on the timeline so we could see where they fit into the rest of ancient history and that was definitely both beneficial and worthwhile.

But it was a higher priority for us to get farther through history than just Creation to Christ in one year than it was to spend that time re-reading the Bible stories. YMMV.

• Like 2

No offence to MOH writer or users, but the thing that always was a bit off putting for me about MOH vol 1 is it always seemed like a glorified Bible Storybook....as in there didn't appear to be a lot of other history covered but for what you read in the Bible. Like another poster mentioned, we have covered many of these Bible stories frequently through the years and I was ready for other history. Am I mistaken? People really seem to like MOH.

No offence to MOH writer or users, but the thing that always was a bit off putting for me about MOH vol 1 is it always seemed like a glorified Bible Storybook....as in there didn't appear to be a lot of other history covered but for what you read in the Bible. Like another poster mentioned, we have covered many of these Bible stories frequently through the years and I was ready for other history. Am I mistaken? People really seem to like MOH.

I do really like MOH as we are continuing to use it through Vol II, III, and IV. As far as Vol I goes, there actually is quite a lot of history there interspersed throughout the Bible stories, and it really is a very good curriculum for showing how and where the Bible stories we're already familiar with intersects with more secular history. We just didn't find it time effective to cover those Bibles stories as a separate lesson and do an associated activity with them.

• Like 1

I just went and made a quick count through the table of contents, and I think about 45 or maybe 47 lessons (depending on what you count) out of 109 have something Biblical as the primary theme. I agree with the pp that many of those lessons include other historical background information that is not typically in a Bible story book. My kids had heard many of those Bible stories before (probably not the minor prophets, but many of the others). But we've never read the Bible chronologically as a family nor have we looked at how those Bible books matched up with other key events and cultures in ancient history. If you've already done a lot of chronological Bible study, then absolutely MOH 1 might be duplication. It wasn't for us.

We also "double up" in MOH 1 by reading 4 lessons per week (2 lessons on 2 different days), and then doing the first quarter of book 2 during that year as well to take us all the way to the fall of the Roman Empire. We focused our activities and outside reading on the other ancient cultures (Egypt, Greece, etc), and enjoyed the MOH readings based in Bible studies without a lot of extra activity or discussion.

• Like 4