Menu

Favorite gluten-free resources?

HSmomof2

I've had Hashimotos for many years. I have an excellent endocrinologist, and my labs taking cytomemel and synthroid look great. Ferritin is low, but we're working on getting that up with iron supplements. However, I still have a lot of 'hypo' symptoms---fatigue, brain fog, joint pain, dry hair, sleep problems, difficulty losing weight.

Endo recommended trying a gluten-free diet for several weeks to see if I felt better without it. I was skeptical but willing to try. So, I'm 3 weeks in and really am feeling better---not so tired, joint pain gone, reflux much improved, lost 5 lbs. I really still miss gluten, but I can't deny that I feel a lot better than I have in a long time.

So, to make it easier these last few weeks, I've been purchasing a lot of the pre-packaged, very expensive gluten-free products. I won't be able to afford this long term, so need to find recipes that are easy to make and taste good. (I'm only making one dinner meal, so our whole family will be eating gluten-free at dinner---it needs to be something good that Dh and dc will like.)

What are your favorite gluten-free resources??

TIA!

• Like 1

Sweet rice flour from Bob's Red Mill for thickening stuff. If you make a roux, you have to use more butter than with wheat.

I got a very good rice cooker that keeps rice hot and fresh for a couple of days. This is great for ballast when I usedtawoulda eaten bread or pasta

I also just learned to like a wider variety of foods. Quinoa. Cabbage.

And I didn't look for substitutes; I just ate differently. Most peppy substitute and that's ok too.

So glad that you're feeling better!  I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and the gf diet has really helped!  It's been 7 years for me now.

I don't know that I really have any favorite resources, but I can share some recipes if you tell me what kind of food you like.

• Like 1