Menu

elementary grade geography

sjp

Depends exactly what you're looking for. A Child's Geography book 2 is a great study of the Middle East. If you just want dc to learn country borders and bodies of water, capitals, etc, Mapping the World By Heart is for 5th-12th grade. If you want to do something on countries and cultures, My Father's World has a one year geography course for 2nd-8th grade, Sonlight's Core K is an introduction to world cultures for 5-7yos, and Winter Promise has a Children Around the World course for elementary.

This year I'm doing a year of world geography and cultures with my PK and 1st grader. I didn't especially like the look of the Sonlight program and the others seemed like they would be too old for my dc, so I've just gotten the Trip Around the World, Maps and Globes, and Geography A to Z books that MFW uses (for $1 each at a used curriculum sale - yea!) and I'm supplementing with the DK books How People Live, Children Just Like Me, and Children from Australia to Zimbabwe, along with some great stories from and about various countries.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

I have a plan involving zoology/geography with Draw Write Now and The Usborne Living World Encyclopedia, geography/culture with atlases, Material World and library books. DWN has lessons for drawing a map of the world and of each continent. I have a schedule for most of this, including folk tales and library books. It is really very simple to do your own. We are working through this for first grade and I add to it as we go, but some of the resources I scheduled are for much higher grades and I have a library list for culture at all grade levels. Let me know if you want my plan and I can email it to you.

Their is also Winter Promise Children Around the World, and some resources at Ourlosbanos.com

This year we are using The Geography Book: Activities For Exploring, Mapping And Enjoying Your World by Caroline Arnold (Mostly physical geography and map-reading skills), National Geographic's Beginner's World Atlas (more about maps and information about each continent); and Audiomemory's Geography Songs: Sing Around The World kit by Larry & Kathy Troxel (songs to help kids remember the names of states in the U.S.A and where they are, and to learn the names, locations, and landmarks of the nations of the world). The book with lyrics also contains blackline maps of the areas, but no blank ones for filling in on your own. There is also a poster-size blackline map that has continents labeled and some (but not all) countries labeled.