Menu

Freezer rolls from scratch?

madteaparty

I have a great need for these because we are rural and can't just pop into the bakery, I don't like what passes for bread at the grocery store and we lastly we eat a lot of soups and such...I'm buying the bags with freezer rolls in he grocery and I suppose I can continue to do that, but I'm wondering if there's a fairly easy way to make my own. I'm a decent cook but bake only if I have to... Ideas?

Ingredients:

1 ½ C milk (warmed)

6 Tbsp butter (melted)

6 Tbsp sugar

1 1/3 Tbsp salt

2 Tbsp yeast

3/4 C warm water

1 3/4 lb general purpose flour

Directions:

1. Combine 1st 4 ingredients. 
  2. In a separate bowl, slowly add yeast to water stirring constantly in one direction until it is dissolved.  Add this to the milk mixture, making sure it is not too hot. 
  3. Add the flour and stir until mixed. 
  4. Place dough on board and knead about 10 minutes. 
  5. Place dough in buttered bowl in a warm place, and let rise until doubled (approx 1 ½ hours). 
    Punch down and let rise again (about ½ hour). 
  6. Make into rolls (cut into pieces, fold under until smooth, dip in butter), cover,
    and let rise again before baking. 

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. 

• Like 1

Yes, I do it frequently. Make the dough, let it have its first rise, then shape into rolls. Freeze them on a cookie sheet, then transfer to a freezer ziplock when frozen. When you're ready to use them, put them in a greased/sprayed pan and cover with greased/sprayed plastic wrap (if they stick to the plastic wrap, they'll deflate when you pull it off). Let them thaw/rise at room temp, then uncover and bake as normal! IME, 3 months is about the max time they can stay in the freezer before the yeast gives out.

• Like 2

I do overnight bread-with isn't exactly rolls, it's a sourdough. It really is 5 minutes a day, plus bake time. If you aren't going to use it every day, pop it in the fridge until you are ready to use it. 
http://cajunstrawberry.blogspot.com/2013/04/overnight-bread-and-starter-plus-many.html

I also freeze biscuits. Mine are tall, fluffy and amazing. 
http://cajunstrawberry.blogspot.com/2012/11/better-than-grands-biscuits.html

• Like 1