Menu

AoPS Intro to Counting/Prob

I know that the AoPS progression in somewhat non-traditional, so I'm not quite sure where Introduction to Counting and Probability fits in.  So what do the experts think:  Is this class worthy of high school credit?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question.  I'm new to the credit scene. :scared: )

Yes, I'd give a half credit for it as a math elective. It really is not worth a full credit since it is a short course doable in a semester.

I would cover this in addition to, not instead of, the traditional math sequence.

It fits as soon as the student had some intro to algebra. With DS, we covered it as a break from algebra 1, halfway through Intro to Algebra.

• Like 2

My son did the book as one part of a full-year course we called Topics in Discrete Mathematics. He had already completed algebra I and geometry and wanted a break before going on to algebra II. So, we combined the AoPS book with an brief, very basic workbook on statistics and a kind of extended unit study on cryptography to make a full credit.

• Like 1